older priuses

i currently own a new prius and am relocating and going to get another car at the new location: thinking older used prius.

when did they start? how are the batteries holding up on the older ones?

bob

Reply to
bob

1997-2000 -> Model NHW10 sold only in Japan but now being exported 2001-2003 -> Model NHW11 sold world wide and first in USA 2004->now-> Model NHW20 sold world wide

The NHW10 owners are working on battery replacements and refurbishment efforts. They are dealing with "D" sized battery strings.

The NHW11s introduced prismatic batteries to the Prius line and we are seeing the a few cases of battery replacement. I'm working on battery refurbishment.

The NHW20 has a much improved, redesigned battery with thicker pastic and improved terminal seals.

IMHO, a 2003 Prius or 2005 and later would make sense for a used one. This should give you the best reliability for a used hybrid. I would avoid the 2001 and 2004 models since these were the first production year units. Not every fix got into these models in the field.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson

I have a 2001 and 2008. The 2001 had its battery replaced by a dealer who couldn't figure out the real problem (a documented accelerator switch problem!) and so I got a new battery at about 5 years. Otherwise no problem, though I would go for the 2004 and later just because of their looks.

My college kid is getting my 2001.

Reply to
xf

is the 2003 the one in the "echo" style body? i need a temporary car, maybe

6 months, and i was thinking about an echo or an "echo styled" older prius - provided the batteries are reliable. (i currently have an 07 prius for my permanent car).

bob

Reply to
bob

That is correct. As for the batteries, it is difficult to get them evaulated unless you take it to a Toyota service department ... or live near one of the Prius experts.

What you need is to have the battery internal resistance test. This involves using a scanner to read the voltages of the weakest and strongest battery module pairs. The limit is 0.3 V and this test, somewhat time consuming and likely several hundred dollars, can answer that question.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson

  • The first Prius were sold in Japan in 1997 (eleven years ago!)

The first exported Prius was in 2000 -- this was what is called (in this NewsGroup) Gen 1. It was a conventional 4-door sedan style.

From 2004 on, it was Gen 2, which is most of what you see on the street these days. It is 5-door (hatchback) body style.

Mine ('05 with about 63,000 miles) has averaged long-term about 49.6 MPG. I keep a spreadsheet that accounts for *every* gallon of gas and

*every* mile driven.

Far and away this is the best car I have ever owned.

Regarding batteries -- the only ones that have been replaced have been due to accidents. There are stories of Prius taxis in Europe with

200,000-plus miles and no battery problems.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones