Prius in northeastern PA

Thinking about a Prius. Live in northeastern Pennsylvania near Scranton. Wondering what people think about the vehicle in the hilly areas around here.

Reply to
cflucas

I live in the hilly areas around here (Alabama). You need to drive one, and make sure you find the highest hills. This little car has all the get-up-and-go of our Toyota Sequoia. People think 'hybrid' and they think it's a weak little piece of tin on 4 wheels. I've even had folks ask me if I have to plug it in at night and how far can I go before I have to charge it up again. I love to educate them.

- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Thanks!

Reply to
Carl Lucas

Our Prius has been doing well in the hills of northwestern New York and western PA. It climbs hills just fine even if the gas engine has to wind up the revs to do it. The best part is going downhill at 100 mpg. I liked the fact that the car warmed up fast these past couple of months too.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Our 2002 Prius - two of them - like the hills here in our mountain town of Flagstaff. At 7000 ft, conventional cars have a little trouble accelerating. Altitude doesn't affect the electrics at all :-)

Michelle S is right when she says the economy is better at lower altitudes. It's hard to keep 50 mpg here, but when we go to the Phoenix area the economy goes up about 10%. Last week I drove from Thunderbird to McDowell on

7th street (nearly level) and averaged almost 80 mpg for the 15 minutes it took. Just the way the flow of traffic worked out.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee