Rainwater leaks in 2010 Prius???

I'm not "pleased" at having to spend close to $300 because Toyota can't seem to design cars that are rain-proof. This Prius gets great fuel economy but if I could do it over I would definitely gone for either a Civic Hybrid or a 2006 Corolla - the last year that Toyota really cared about quality.

Reply to
Leftie

Bingo. Rational, objective opinion.

Nice to know that not all Prius owners are criminally self-deluded, mendacious, pious, sanctimonious frauds, chumps, and type D personalities -- like the fanboi from Whoville.

Reply to
News

I'm not "pleased" at having to spend close to $300 because Toyota can't seem to design cars that are rain-proof. This Prius gets great fuel economy but if I could do it over I would definitely gone for either a Civic Hybrid or a 2006 Corolla - the last year that Toyota really cared about quality.

It's unfortunate that your drain plugged. I can tell you from first-hand experience this common problem isn't limited to Toyota products. Moreover, you can clean the drain yourself and the carpets will dry overnight if you simply garage the car with the windows open. Paying someone $300.00 to take care of this simple problem is your choice. Remember, one or two in this ng told you what the problem was when you first complained and, instead of checking this out yourself, you chose to involve the dealer. The folks at the dealership are simply "putting food on their family's faces" (thank you GWB) and hopefully putting their kids through college at your expense.

Reply to
Al Falfa

You are assuming that the problem is in fact a plugged A/C drain. There was so much water in the carpet (and right after tropical rains) that if it had been the A/C it would have taken time to accumulate and mildew would have run wild. I've had other cars plug their A/C drains (although not often) and the amount of water was trivial compared to the amount we had this time. This dealership has previously (supposedly under different management) replaced both the fuel tank and filler pipe on our '95 Camry, and then when that did nothing to solve the gas odor problem, shrugged and said, in effect, 'Too bad - you still have to pay for everything'. Northway Toyota in Latham NY is not going to be seeing us again. And we're never buying or leasing another new Toyota.

BTW, it's not actually my car. My housemate leases it and we both use it to commute. I pay part of the cost.

Reply to
Leftie

[...]

If it isn't a plugged drain what are you and your housemate considering paying $800.00 to fix? Certainly that estimate was based on something discovered during troubleshooting. What does the itemized estimate include?

Some years back, when I complained about the gas smell in my Mercury Villager, the dealership could find nothing wrong. Six months later the Villager was recalled to have the fuel filler tube replaced and that solved the gas smell problem. This sort of experience is always frustrating. The dealership certainly wasn't equipped to troubleshoot and isolate the problem I reported but apparently enough dealerships reported this complaint and Chrysler addressed it.

If I were you, having doubts about where the water is coming in, I'd run the car through a touch-less car wash a few times while trying to find out where the water is coming in. If it is coming in through the door gaskets, you have a warranty issue and you can demonstrate that to the dealership.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I've just discovered the same thing. Soaking wet carpets after a fairly heavy rain. I haven't yet determined how the water got into the car but will post if and when the source is determined.

Reply to
Nancy