Road Wheel Coating ?

In recent years, my '01 wheels have developed what looks like blisters which, when scratched away, reveal base material corroding slightly to some chalky substance. Anyone know what's going on here ? ...

Reply to
giannoni

Yes. Someone was smoking in the plating room.

Reply to
Tom

The UK Classic Prius' aluminum alloy wheels are well known for having a bit of corrosion (replaced under their 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty). Photos (if you are a member of the Prius-UK yahoogroup) are available at:

I think I've seen this also on my US 2001 and my mother's US 2002 Prius here in New England. I haven't gotten around to posting photos yet.

Here are some links regarding alloy wheel corrosion:

mrv