2006 Prius

It's time for a newer car, and I like to buy them a year old to save money. (With mileage as low as possible and checked out by a trusted mechanic, of course.)

I think I want a Prius--I love the idea of 60 mpg, and I like the size of the car. I drove a 2007 last weekend, just a test drive, and I liked the way it handled.

Anybody have a 2006 and want to tell me about it? If there is anything to tell?

How is routine maintenance different for a hybrid car?

And whatever other stuff you think is important. TIA.

Reply to
cybercat

Not much different. In the US, oil/filter changes and tire rotations at 6 month/5000 mile intervals. If you're inclined, you could even DIY.

You can view the scheduled maintenance guide at:

If you're interested in the US Federal income tax credit, be aware that it is only applicable to new (not used) purchased (not leased) vehicles.

I will warn you that the Prius holds its value very well in the US, so you may not find the discount that you are looking for... Some dealers are starting to see Prius on their lots (whereas it once was a waiting list), so I've heard of some people even managing to buy new at invoice prices lately.

Reply to
mrv

That 60 MPG is the EPA mileage for city traffic. You'll more likely get somewhere between 43 and 55 MPG (probably closer to 48 to 51).

It's not.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Primarily, the book says that it is necessary to change the oil and rotate the tires. A four wheel alignment might be a good idea when you buy it Steve

Reply to
Steven Douglass

I generally get 55 mpg going into and out of Boston. I get more if I am traveling West to East since it is generally downhill and less than 55 if I am going East to West .

Reply to
Steven Douglass

just bought a 2007 2 wks ago. white touring ed. it's scheduled maintenance is primarily oil change, but no way are you going to get 60mpg -> 45-50 is expected if you drive in any type of normal fashion.

bob

Reply to
bob

Ditto that. City fuel economy of 45 MPG is typical when the outside temp is between about 40 F and 90 F, and highway MPG is easily more than

50.
Reply to
richard schumacher

I owned my 2006 for about 9 months now. Maintenance is the same, if not less than a non-hybrid. An example are the brakes - they last much longer than on a conventional car.

A wealth of information can be found at priuschat.com, and you are welcome to ask questons to allieviate any concerns on buying the Prius.

Reply to
Conrad

You almost certainly won't get 60 MPG. 45 MPG in city is common when the outdoor temp is between 40 and 90 F. 50 MPG highway is common.

Lurk in

for a while to see many other points addressed.

Reply to
richard schumacher

I agree. 60 mpg is a dream of the Toyota marketing department. 40-50 is typical. 50+ happens sometimes if you're careful. Cold driving weather drops the mpg into the 30s.

Tire pressure is critical to mpg.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

No, 60 mpg is the result of following the federally mandated EPA mileage tests. Toyota had no choice in the matter. They are required to advertise only the EPA mileage if they advertise mileage at all, and they are required to put the EPA mileage on the window sticker of the car.

Not just Toyota, but every automobile manufacturer selling in the USA, and for every make and model of new car, SUV, and pickup truck sold in the country.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

No. The marketing department is just using the figure that the EPA independently determined.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Actually, according to the EPA, any OEM can put lesser values in the MPG rating, but since it is used as a buying yardstick by some, it would be foolish for any OEM to do so, even if it is in the interest of truth in advertising.

Reply to
Bill