Turner engine on order

A remanufactured 2.25 3mb engine with gasflowed heads is now on order from the ever-helpful Frida. So, having spent a small fortune on the main bit it seems a little silly to spoil it with worn out ancillaries.

So what should I keep and what should I replace?

Starter is buggered anyway, so that will be replaced.

I have 2 Zenith carbs, one known crap and the other just plain unknown. Is it worth Warren's time pissing about with them or do I go straight to a new Weber?

Spark plugs and leads are already quite new I think.

Water pump, distributor?

What else am I missing?

Thanks for any advice

Tim

'06 Nissan Navara ('The Truck') '06 Megane CC '05 Honda Varadero 125 ('Vera') '58 Series 2 SWB ('Stig)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:00:37 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

If you hunt about a bit you can get a lucas 45D4 electronic distributor from a leyland O-series. a bit of light modification to the drive will give you an electronic distributor (the kind that has an amp on the side like some of the V8 ones do, so get the plug to connect that too) that fits the 4-cyinder land rover engines.

'course, it's open to question whether it's worth it.

I did this mod on my 110 when it had a 2.5 petrol engine in it. At least you don't have points to arse around with. It seemed to go OK, as well. I did have some running problems with that engine but eventually traced these to an iffy gas mixer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| I have 2 Zenith carbs, one known crap and the other just plain || unknown. Is it worth Warren's time pissing about with them or do I || go straight to a new Weber?

Webers have a habit of icing up, even in warmish weather. Rumour has it they also don't work well at extreme angles as they were never designed for it. Shame to spoil a ship and all that - why not go the extra mile

I did, and it's bloody marvellous.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Twin S.U.s on a fabricated manifold, waste of time running a small choke size Weber with the gas flowed head, and a 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust manifold, then you only need the cam to go with them.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

As my mother says every year...

"It's going to be a lean Christmas this year..."

Thanks Richard

Tim

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:43:55 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

The 2.5 4-cylinder runs a bigger, twin-choke weber... wonder if the manifold fits 2¼?

justa fort.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hear hear, dont do it! stick with the Zenith. putting a Weber on was the worst thing I un-necessarilly did to my 2.25. Steep climbs were a nightmare!

Regards, Roy.

"Richard Brookman" wrote >

Reply to
LR90

i fink it do. Got one of those if he wants it, also full donkey to go wivit.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:50:45 -0000, "Oily" scribbled the following nonsense:

Logic would indicate that it does, becasue I had to fit the 2.25 manifold to my 2.5 when I swapped engines in my S3 for a while until I hunted the 90/110 pedal to use the correct manifold and carb. The difference with the 2.5 manifold on was amazing though when I did fit it.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:14:54 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I've an idea I had a 2.5 petrol front pipe floating around. however, it'd only work if you changed the whole exhaust or made an adapter of some kind, the whole exhaust is bigger bore on the 110.

email me a price for the inlet manifold and carb, anyway... remove the NOSPAM bit from the address for preference.

I'm not sure I've not got a 2.5 carb sitting in the shed somewhere, actually, but it might have gone somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

YHM. Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:57:46 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

yep, seen it ta.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's arrived today, and it looks like a work of art. As the exchange engine is ex-military the new one has been painted Duck Egg Blue, it's superbly presented on a metal stillage and even comes with 2 gallons of running-in oil.

So far I'm well impressed. Can't wait to hear it running....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Stick it in the lounge as an ornament and order another one ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Funny you should say that - I've been thinking about a V8 coffee table for my study.... Shouldn't be hard to find a scrap 4.6 block!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Something similar has been on the cards for me for a while, mounting some comfy car seats on a frame too. One day I'll drive my house through town ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:28:33 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

out of interest, I see Witham are selling 2¼ petrol engines ex-military.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 5 Dec 2006 06:40:21 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I liked the seats they have for the Top Gear set.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Some fully electrically adjustable seats would be nice, with some batteries in the base for power obviously, I might have to knock something up sometime. Mind you I've still not finished redecorating the lounge, which has been going on for 3 years so I won't report back straight away ;-)

Anyone know of a good candidate for a luxury adjustable car seat with arms that's quite cheap to buy and not too complicated electrically? I don't know much about the comfy end of the market so some recommendations would be appreciated.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I made one a while ago out of a Rodek sprintcar engine - it now graces a friend's house as SWMBO refuses to allow it anywhere except my workshop (notwithstanding the component parts of my racecar engine sitting beside the sofa awaiting the tuits to assemble them).

Reply to
EMB