Chrysler engineers are geniuses...

My hat goes off to those guys. Anyone that can design a vehicle (Cherokee in this case) whose body can last for YEARS, while made out of metal just slightly thicker than your average two-ply bath tissue has GOT to be a genius.

I've spent the last couple months (off and on) replacing the entire bottom of a 94 Cherokee and have had fits trying to weld replacement sheet of some substance (16 gauge) to that tissue Chrysler called sheet metal. While the 16 turned out to be something of overkill, it should last quite a while. It probably would have been easier to weld 20 gauge to whatever the stock material is, but at least the floor has got some substance to it now, especially since I had no convenient way to add any stiffening bends to it.

I know one thing, the future includes a plasma cutter. Cutting all that sheet with a 4 1/2" grinder and cut-off wheels blew great big goats I'll tell you.

Reply to
Tom Greening

If you know someone with a torch try brazing.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

What bill should have said was "or they might not fit", but since he is "thee" absolute authority on anything and everything, he is prone to making statements that are absolute.

Reply to
Tom Greening

Umm, try again, AMC designed the Cherokee. I have 2 of them and they are AMC vehicles, so is my CJ7.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Doesn't matter. The point was that cherokees (94's at least) have sheet metal like tissue paper.

Reply to
Tom Greening

Glad to hear you got it fixed even if the floor was made out of foil, but PLEASE don't mention goats on this newsgroup!

Jeff DeWitt

Tom Green> My hat goes off to those guys. Anyone that can design a vehicle

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Didn't I tell you to use 20 ga.? ;^) Another advantage of 20 ga., is that it is thin enough to be cut with tin snips. Welding 20 ga. to whatever you have would be fairly easy, compared to 16 ga. Try cutting the stuff with a saber saw or a Skil saw cutoff wheel next time.

16 ga. is probably a good choice for a floor, if you paint it with something good and treat all joints properly. But imagine the weight penalty if they had made the whole body out of the stuff.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hey, you are talking to someone with plywood for floors in the XJ....

Mike

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

HEY cool pics Bill.. lol May that XJ rust in peace now.. Donated the carcuss to charity after I removed a few parts for the wifey's ZJ. If it wern't for the body going so quickly I would have kept it. The best part of it was the drive train.

Snow...

93 ZJ 89 Caprice Waggy
Reply to
Snow

Theres No plywood on that floor... 16 gauge sheet metal, couple hundred rivets, A lot of *rustcheck - coat and protect* some roofing tar along the seams and lastly a good coating of tremclad.

The plywood floor was done on my 78 Impala :)

Snow...

93 ZJ 89 Caprice Waggy
Reply to
Snow

I didn't spit that out right or it is in the wrong place sort of...

I am the one with plywood floors in my 88. My 'new' 87 still has floors. :-)

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yep, what a show. Beautiful scenery, crime in the streets, and everyone carried a gun.

Seems like nothing has changed much in Kalifornia...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III