"Squoot" noise when pushing on brake pedal

We took a trip with our Prius and while away from home, I discovered that every time I pushed on the brake pedal, the car reacted normally but made a small (but noticeable) "squoot" noise that I believe was coming from under the hood. The noise stopped as soon as we returned home - and on a subsequent trip the noise has not returned.

Anybody else heard this?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

I had a rubber boot that covers the hole in the firewall come loose from the brake pedal shaft that penetrates the firewall and it made some type of noise. Once the mechanic set the boot back into the groove in the shaft meant to hold the boot steady relative to the shaft the noise went away. The speculation was that one night outside in subfreezing weather made the boot resistant to movement the next morning and the boot popped out of the groove. I haven't exposed the car to such weather since and haven't had the problem again.

Reply to
NeoPhyte_Rep

Chris: Just returned from Mammoth Lakes. Left Ventura at close to sea level, arrived at cabin at 9,000 ft elevation ... averaging 46.5 mpg with wife, luggage and inflatable kayak. Got 50.5 mpg on return trip. Anyway, had same noise as you describe while in mountains. The noise occurred at exact point of electrical actuation while depressing pedal

- point where brake lights come on. Noise came from front right side of engine compartment. The noise disappeared after we left Mammoth and has not returned. Also had screeching from radiator transfer pump (where hot water transfers to thermos at time of shutdown) on two occasions. That sound also disappeared by time we are were down to

4,000 ft elevation where we stopped for lunch. Neither noise has returned. I called dealer today. They referred me to Toyota engineering in Torrance. They quickly logged a case number and promised to get back to me within three days. If you want me to let you know their response, let me know you email address. By the way, what did your dealer say? ... Bob snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net
Reply to
rworthley