Whiners about 35 MPG

The obvious conclusion is you don't have the right model of Prius (see thread comparing 2008 and 2010 models.) The 1.8L, ZVW30 Prius has two major technical advances that directly address low mileage:

1) exhaust heated coolant - for those living in colder climates, this accelerates warm-up to fuel efficient modes. It also reduces the need to run the engine, especially in high wind conditions, to preserve coolant temperature.

2) recirculated, exhaust gas injection - this avoids having to run a rich mixture at high power settings to preserve the catalytic converter.

Just go down to your local Toyota dealer and see if you can get a trade-in on your current 1.5L, NHW20 or NHW11 Prius. The production levels are coming back and new, 1.8L Prius are starting to arrive. Meanwhile, the shortage has still inflated the price of your older Prius. Instead of trade-in, you might try Ebay/Craigslist to see if you can get a better deal than trade-in (often the case.)

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web

2007.

That's about the dumbest financial advice anyone could give.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My post had nothing to do with MPG, I get close to 30 combined and over 30 highway with a '97 Lumina and its EPA MPG ratings are roughly half those of the NHW20. Sure there are things that are improved on the ZVW30 mechanically, but I don't like the aesthetics of it, I dislike the exterior now, I HATE the suspended arch inside, I HATE the LCD MFD being replaced my the VFD MID, and I hate the new implementation of SKS. I also don't like ORVR being used instead of the bladder, ORVR is OK until the filter plugs with dust (speaking of an '05 Impala here), then you can't fill up properly. At least the bladder only has issues when it is cold or on certain pumps.

IMO they should have offered an NHW20ish model that has the new goodies added without the silliness, IE the radar assisted cruise, EV ECO and PWR buttons, ETC.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

How does it differ from 2009?

ORVR?????

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

NHW20 either had SKS or it didn't, if it did there were black lock buttons on the outside of the front doors and the hatch. ZVW30 has a reduced SKS that only works on the driver's door, plus the normal version, depending on the vehicle package.

Onboard refueling vapor recovery.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know