Prius

I was reading a few web reviews on the Prius and they're right about one thing; the view out the back is really inhibited. I've always liked the good field of vision all around the 93 Corolla wagon.

Reply to
Moon Goddess

The line of the spoiler across the back window - limiting the view somewhat - was the only thing that slightly bothered me when I test drove one. OTOH, it didn't drive me out & out nuts, so I figure it's something I could probably get used to.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Cathy F." ...

Not to mention the *very* tight cargo space in that little cockroach.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Compared with my Corolla sedan, it was spacious. Plus, the rear seats fold done really flat, not at a bit of an angle.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Make two trips and still save on gas.

Reply to
mark digital©

I imagine that is something they will fix in the future...

Reply to
Go Mavs

the Prius actually isnt as small as it looks.It has more space than my Yaris and if thats the case then it is a spacious car for a hybrid that gets high mpg...

my dad loves his new Ford Escape Hybrid..

Reply to
Go Mavs

Wait for a while, the electric car is on the way. You will be able to plug it in at home for a charge. Much better, it will use zero gas during short trips.

Reply to
Spirit&Opportunity

I think it is a mix that is coming... the electric gas car.. uses the electricity until it runs out and then the gas kicks in...

An electric car can only take you so far.. I have to wonder what it will do to a persons electric bill though.

Reply to
Go Mavs

I'm curious to know how the states will make up for the loss of gas tax.

Reply to
Spirit&Opportunity

You'll get a special electric meter for your garage.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It has more space than a Camry, let alone your Yaris.

The Prius is huge inside.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It looks pretty big when you pull up next to one...

Reply to
Go Mavs

Hmm, good question.

Reply to
Go Mavs

Until electricity can be stored much more efficiently electric cars will not be a real option. Lugging 1,000 lbs. of batteries around is not a good thing. One of the main problems is heating in winter. If electric cars were the current standard and someone came up with a miracle substance called gasoline, a liquid that could be dispensed by pump into a car and the person would be able to have heat and A/C, and and go 400 miles between refills they would jump to the new technology.

Reply to
Moe

They are for some people. People who make mostly short trips, like to the school or grocery store or work.

With regenerative braking, it is not that bad. However, I doubt that the batteries will be that heavy.

That all depends on the cost. You can have heat and A/C in the winter and the summer with an electric car, too.

The only reason why there is so much heat available in gasoline vehicles is that gasoline engines are so inefficient.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Go Mavs" ...

"Go Mavs"

I'm talking trunk/hatch space, not "people" space.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Why would you even ask how they will pay for highways without the gas tax? They will raise a different tax and it will cost you even more than the gas tax. Since they are raising taxes they will throw some pork in too.

The politicians in my State are very creative at finding ways to tax you. The latest Democrat scheme is to call new taxes "user fees" and claim they did not raise your taxes. Republicans fall for the "compromise" scheme and settle for half the new taxes proposed by Democrats, which is what they wanted in the first place. Both lying parties claim they won Dems, no new taxes, just a bunch of user fees that everyone will pay, and Pubs claim they cut the Dems new taxes in half. Then they both go on their next spending sprees to buy votes in the next election.

Time for a tea party.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

This is the only practical solution. You can take gasoline to a car when it runs out. But if a strictly electrical runs out of "juice", you would have to have it towed home to recharge it.

That's for sure. There's no free lunch.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
anon

But that depends on cost. Cost, and not convenience, is almost always the most important factor. The electric cars will only come out in force once the cost of gas goes through the roof. And we should see more of an influx of small motorcycles and scooters, gas or electric and even the common bicycle, before electric cars become the standard. Most North Americans won't be able to afford gasoline soon enough, and the streets will start to look more and more like the streets of a third-world country.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
anon