EKA Code problems

I recently bought a 1999 220SDi. It didn't come with either the stereo code or the emergency key access (EKA) code for the immobiliser. I've obtained these from my local Rover dealer, and decided to test the codes. The radio code works fine, but I can't seem to make it accept the EKA code (the one that involves lots of key turns in the driver's door lock). Is there a particular technique that I should be aware of for entering it?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker

The EKA door access method is notoriously unreliable at the best of times due to the fact that dirty contacts inside the switch area or a damaged cable loom across the door hinge will render the system useless. I assume you have the owners handbook with the car as it shows how to key in the emergency code via the doorlock. I will warn you though, there is a lot of key turning in the process.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I've tried inputting it using the method descibed in the book several times, but each time the horn 'paps' at me to tell me I've used an incorrect code. It doesn't help when the code for my car is made entirely of high-digit numbers. I'll try spraying some WD40 into the doorlock and the switch contacts to see if that solves the problem.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Hi Andy

The other option is to ask your Rover dealer to read the code out of the system using their computer system. The one recorded in the records for the car may be wrong.

However they may try and charge you for this, unless the car is in for some other work. Normally if the car is in the shop anyway they will do it free.

Reply to
Jonathan

Andy It could be the wrong number or a poor micro switch connection in the drivers door lock but some of the Rover 5AS ECU's develop a software problem that prevents the ECU from recognising the door microswitch. Iif the number etc. is correct then www.alarmremotes can correct the software problem but would need to see the ECU

Reply to
Potsy