HIGHER WATTAGE HEADLIGHT BULBS

has anyone put higher wattage bulbs in the headlights of a rover 75. I was thinking of putting in 100w instead of the standard 55 w Has anyone tried it and if so any problems?

Damien

Reply to
Damien

isn't it Watts = Volts x Amps.

100/12 = Amps

approx 8 amps being drawn per bulb.

so that's almost twice the norm............

depends on the safety factor for the wiring loom then.

Reply to
OhNo

Only if you want melted headlamp connector pieces and fitments.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I run a 214 Enduro rally car and was going to slap in some 80/100 or

90(?)/130W bulbs, but then I saw how thin the wires are and that put pay to that! Till I can get around to doing a full re-wire of the HL system I got some Osram Silver Star bulbs.

I have to say, much I as I had a dislike of potential "Kev" bulbs, they came out top of an Auto Express test a little while ago and they are noticeable better (brighter, whiter and better defined beam) than the standard bulbs. So much so, that I've got some in my auxiliary lights (Hella 4000) and they too are better than the 130W bulbs I had in there before!

And it is a big advantage at MoT time - I don't have to swap all the bulbs back to road legal :)

I've no connection with Osram, other than a very satisfied customer!!

Reply to
Clive

I'd be more concerned about the effect it's likely to have on the BCU (Body Control Unit) which monitors the bulb failure circuit. The effects of loading the rear lights with a tailboard or trailer is quite interesting, doubling the load on the headlights should be similar............I wouldn't recommend it!

Andy Jenkins.

Reply to
Andy J.

It may fail the MOT, due to being to bright

Reply to
You Rang?

Reply to
susan lambert