New owner questions : Rover parts, servicing etc

Hello all,

Today I bought a 2000 Rover 75 Conossieur, 2.5 petrol for 3 grand and have ended up with some issues (and subsequent questions)...

After overheating on the trip back home, I added loads of water at a little chef and afterwards immediately got the same problem (temp guage on max - red light on). I now suspect the car may not even have much oil in it.

On the same (first) trip, I realized one of the electric seat controls is broken off (The one nearest the back of the seat - I think it controls the angle of the seat back).

Finally, the car has only one key/remote.

Questions:

1) Is there any such thing as a "Rover Dealer" now? 20 Is it still possible to get main dealer type parts and if so, are "Rover Dealers" fitting them and/or providing other service. I cannot find a "Rover Dealer" in my local yellow pages! 3) If there are no dealers any more, will other garages be able to get main dealer parts? 4) Can third party suppliers (like auto electricians or alarm places) get replacement key/remotes fr my car? 5) Can anyone recommend any good online used car parts suppliers that might supply things like my broken switch?

Thanks for your help.

avmad

(...really mad I think now for buying this car...)

Reply to
avmad

to find your nearest dealer.

OhNo

Bad luck mate sounds like you have bought a Lemon overheating can be very expensive on the KV6 engine do not drive it when to hot and refilling with the wrong type of anti freeze will mess the engine up eventually

Go to

and ask thereyou can also seach the forum as your questions have all been answeredbefore

Plenty of ex dealers about that will do the work keys are available cost around =A3100 for key and coding

avmad wrote:

Reply to
Keith Alexander

On 26 Jun 2006 16:17:19 -0700, "avmad" wrote this with the utmost thought:

In very reverse order:

Insane, not mad.

Quicko (Ford) are Rover parts dealer in my area and wherever they can be found. There are also several on-line, Rimmer Bros comes to mind.

Fobs can be had at varying prices, have a search of the Web and you'll get several leads. They won't be cheap, but that's not something specific to Rover.

As to your overheating, I hope you have done no damage otherwise you'll be in for an expensive repair. Did you get a test drive of the car? Was it private or from a garage?

Rover K series overheating invariably involves a new cylinder head gasket and unless you're prepared to DIY and don't have to replace the head, it isn't too expensive a job. Put it in a garage willing to do the job and you could have to dig *very* deep in your pockets.

Hopefully you'll just have a dicky cooling fan, plenty of oil in the engine and no further problems.

Reply to
losttheplot

If you bought the car at a private garage, you have the right to return it under consumer protection legislation, whatever they may try to tell you.

The big question is whether it's head gasket failure--you can tell by the coolant and oil getting mixed up. Even if the HG is sound, it's very important that you don't allow the engine to overheat, as this can cause the HG to go. Be particularly wary of traffic jams in summer, when localised overheating can happen without you noticing (until you get up to speed, at which point the HG may go if heat hasn't dissipated), and of starting the car after it has been stopped for less than a couple of minutes, as temperature can be dangerously high immediately after cooling system shutdown.

Looking to the future, my understanding is that HGF occurs because of repeated thermal shock during warmup, so best to drive very gently until at a decent temperature on the dial--that way, the temp difference between cold coolant and hot engine is smallest.

Group: feel free to correct me if any of that advice is baloney--I'm no expert.

Good luck--the 75 is a very nice car, and the KV6 engine a delight, when all ship shape.

Stephen

snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Reply to
stephendnes