Rover 214i

Hi

I own a 1997 bubble shape Rover 200 with a 1400cc 16valve engine. I recently had a new engine fitted to it by a mechanic that I would trust with my life. The problem is that when the engine is cold it has difficulty starting (starts on fivth/sixth attempt). Then, when it is warm the idle revs are as high as 2000-2500rpm!! When I hit the accelerator with the clutch depressed and rev over about 4000rpm the idle revs drp down to about

1000rpm but then as soon as I continue normal driving the idle revs go back up to around 2000rpm. Also the temp gauge does not work - we thought that this was the root of the problem and so changed the part in the engine that takes the temperature (sorry but I do not know the official name of this part) but this has made no difference whatsoever. None of this happened with the old engine (which incedently was taken out becuase it proved to be cheaper to do a transplant rather than fix the cylinder head etc).

Any suggestions or should I just hand it over to Rover?

Cheers

David

Reply to
David Brooks

You could also post this to uk.rec.cars. maintenance as there's a lot of experience there. By the way, did changing the temperature sensor solve the gauge problem ?

Andy Pandy To e-mail, address hopefully, self-explanatory !

Reply to
Andy Pandy

This fault is indicative of a faulty temperature sensor or defective connections to that sensor. The ECU is raising the speed of the engine as it thinks the engine block is cold, as per auto choke conditions. Check all your cables for continuity and try fitting a new sensor.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

also suspect ECU unit faulty, had a few of these lately with simmilar problems that turned out to be ECU's. unfortunatly as rover will not supply an ECU that can be returned if not required etc we always refer them to the main dealer. unfortunatly if the ecu is faulty then its difficult to trust code readers as they rely on a healthy ecu to be read correctly. i doubt the temp sensor will cause extreme engine speed as you are experiencing, steve.

Reply to
steve