Rover 620 Alarm Problem

I have a Rover 600 P Reg and the alarm has been going on and off. It has been behaving itself for the past week, but last night it went off all night and in the end I couldnt sleep

My question is what are the common causes, is their a quick fix for now (as the Rover dealer is very busy and I am booked in for next Thursday) and can I disable the alarm/noise but still have the lights flashing.

ALso noticed that sometimes when the car is locked, the central locking automatically activates and opens the lock.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
zappp

A fav area to start would be to get a screwdriver and pull out each of the door frame switches and inspect them. They tend to corrode or in several cases the internal electrical metalwork, often seen as a metal strip running up the side of the switch, tends to snap at the point where the fabrication of the contactor has been bent at manufacture into a 90 degree bend, putting stress on that metal strip.

An intermittant contact switch, breathing as the temperature outside goes up and down, would drive your car alarm and central locking into a right old mess. Have you got any doors that don't put the internal lights on when you open them, a good starting point. The door switches interface into quite a lot of things apart from the lights, including the alarm system. One suspects that with the temperature changes we have been suffering over the last few weeks, you may have one or two flakey door switchs that are intermittantly making or breaking contact. Best advise, spend a bit of cash and change the lot.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

thanks for the info.. will check out what you wrote and report back..

Reply to
zappp

I have noticed that when the doors are opened, the internal lights do not come one - could be this be the reason the alarm is triggering.

Reply to
zappp

Could be all the door switches are stick, the bulb in the ceiling may be blown, the switch on the light is in the wrong position and if you are really unlucky that the multi function unit which manages all of this has gone kaput. As to where the MFU is located on a 600, I have no idea but somebody in this group will most probably advise.

In order, check.

The switch on the interior light is in the correct position. The interior light bulb The door switches The MFU

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

The swtich is on the middle position - hence activated via the door handle - when in the on position light on - and when on off position lights off.

can I just disable the alarm or the horn itself until I go to the Rover pe>>I have noticed that when the doors are opened, the internal lights do

Reply to
zappp

No, no disablement I'm afraid.

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

You could unplug the alarm sounder under the bonnet; but this won't disable the alarm. Also, if your car were to get nicked (and later found) because the alarm was nobled and didn't sound then your insurance probably wouldn't pay.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis