Rover 75 blows bulbs

My R 75 suffers VERY frequent bulb failures: brake-lights side-lights, head-lights (and these are a bugger to change). Is mine a Friday Afternoon Car or does this happen to many R 75s? Any tips about what might be wrong?

Reply to
Weblocutor

Just a guess here, but what is the voltage output of the alternator like? (get an auto electrician to check it). Mum had a mini once with the same symptoms, turned out to be a faulty alternator that was outputting a higher voltage than required - headlights were VERY bright as well :-) while they lasted - a new alternator was fitted and problem solved, Regards,

Steve

Reply to
Steven Keyte

Thanks for the tip. The car is an electrical disaster: rear screen light getting unstuck, a/c fan 'sticky' (starts only after 5 min), bulbs blow... I could well expect to be electrocuted while adjusting my seat next:-( Rover Garage keep checking it out, year in - year out, never finding anything untoward - ever. SNAFU.

Reply to
Weblocutor

A typical Rover!

We had and father-in-law has, a 600 series which has blown bulbs since new in '98, just look at how many Rovers you see on the street with bulbs out..........

It is a common problem which Rover has chosen not to publicly recognise; however I am sure they know about it but do not wish to recall cars for a wiring problem. I just hope it does not affect the fuel circuit in any way!!!

Best regards

Reply to
Gerald Harper

"Gerald Harper" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.starhub.net.sg...

An overgeneralisation, of course.

My son had a Volvo that did the same thing. I had a Mercedes that did the same thing. My 75 did the same thing until I stopped buying bulbs from Halfords and bought the real thing. No new bulbs in 4 years. My dealer advised me (correctly) to avoid cheap bulbs because there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Cheap bulbs are a common problem that no car maker chooses to advertise, because the use of cheap replacement bulbs is beyond their control (it's down to cheapscate owners). Bulbs blow in any car, Rover or not, new and old. I saw a new (04) BMW today with a blown tail light. Should BMW admit they have a problem with their wiring?

Stop fanning flames when there's not even a hint of smoke!

Reply to
RacingFan

Once went through four brand new packets of 21watt bulbs, all were blowing with around a few hours operation, the glass going a milky white inside (loss of gas?). The common denominator here was that they were all bulbs from Halfords.

Put in genuine bulbs from a Rover dealer, all OK.

Incidentally, I had the same issue with other, non-Rover cars, the bulbs coming out were third party types that were just not to the same quality.

I respectfully suggest that the owner of the 75 with the spring loaded mouse trap fitted to his wallet prises the bloody thing open and buys some half decent bulbs rather than harp on about non existant Rover faults.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

got half a dozen cheap spares in the glove box or in teh boot somewhere just in case). The OP may not.

An average car driver would probably expect a bulb to be a bulb. and with such a wide variety of price. Bulbs can be bought for about 4p in bulk (indicators side lights etc etc) and headlamps for less than £1 .and can end up being sold to the end user at nearly £2 and over £5 for a headlamp.. or sometimes you'll get one for 50p.. THE SAME BULB. so who's to know whats what in this instance. do you pay £2 and hope its a better bulb.

Also an average car driver is going to think against buying a ROVER bulb or a MERC bulb as they will be convinced its the same bulb only 4 times as expensive.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech