very annoying rattling under car

I know what it is now, it is a plate the is attached around the exhaust, roughly under the handbrake area. There is a plate under the exhaust and above and they are supposed to be connected where they meet either side of the exhausted, but with the top plate, the nut has stayed in place, but the plate has eroded away.

Is there some way i can atach them back together easily, for example, using a clamp on the side of it?

THe bolts are all rusted up and when i touch them, they seem stubon, and all the do is flake when under pressure.

I havent got a jack, lift or anything, so something simple by just reaching while laying on ground would be greatful!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

Stuart,

Hard to get the full picture without seeing it, but could you drill holes in each one, then feed some stiff wire through and twist it tight?

Something like this in cross-section:

--------------- / _______ \ wire |_/ / \ \_|_ |-- | exhaust | --|-- \ \________/ / \---------------/

Or maybe even a long piece of wire around the whole lot and again, twisted tight with a pair of pliers....

Good luck, Ade

Reply to
Adrian

that sounds good, i will go with that!

Cheers

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

I had this problem once... took it into an exhaust fitter where a kindly man wrapped a large jubilee clip around the whole silencer & heat shield.

Reply to
Fred Armitage

| > I know what it is now, it is a plate the is attached around the exhaust, | > roughly under the handbrake area. | > There is a plate under the exhaust and above and they are supposed to be | > connected where they meet either side of the exhausted, but with the top | > plate, the nut has stayed in place, but the plate has eroded away.

This is probably the shield for the cat if it's under the handbrake. Anyway, I bought a DIY jubliee clip (it came as 1 2 metre clip with 8 fastenings). Cut to length, then strap shield to cat - easy as pie.

Steve :)

Reply to
Stephen A

I don't want to put a downer on things, but the weld probably won't last. If he did it for a tenner, presumably he welded it while still on the car, so would have had to be low temperature. Mine was welded like this but only lasted a month. Go buy yourself a DIY jubilee clip kit (£7.50) or let me know and I'll tell you where they sell one and you can call them direct.

Steve ;)

Reply to
Stephen A

I've just fixed my sister's Kensington 100 after its heat shield broke away. Someone had used a jubilee clip previously but it was too tight and sheared. I used two jubilee clips from Halfords (35-44mm) and tightened them just far enough to get a good grip without being overly tight. I think they were about £4 for the pair.

Try reversing the passenger side at the front of the car up onto a high kerb. I used some wooden planks set parallel to the kerb as a kind of ramp. Once the car was up, I pulled out the planks and there was plenty of room for me to shimmy underneath and work with both arms. Don't forget to put the planks back again before you drive the car down.

Just be patient - working like this, it took me about 5 mins to fit each clip. It seemed longer and the clips I had previously put on the engine hoses only took a minute. The cat and exhaust pipe get really hot and stay hot for a long time. I also used a ratchet screwdriver so that I didn't have to remove the driver head every time.and that saved me a lot of hassle.

The Kensington's hydroelastic needs pumped up again so I was unable to use my ramps but the kerb idea worked fine.

HTH

Cotku

Reply to
Cotku