1995 Saab 9000 CDE V6 Timing Belt Went

Hi All:

Yep, my very nice 9000 1995 just tossed the timing belt and the local mechanic says at least some of the valves are bent. It has about 89k on it, I wish I would have changed at 75k. or even 88.5k. I was looking forward to running this car for quite awhile longer.

So, anyone out there have this happen to them on the 9000 V6 (with something like a billion vales or so to replace ... -:).

I am soliciting input from the gallery...

1) Don't fix it, sell for parts 2) Rebuild the engine 3) Replace engine with a rebuilt

I REALLY LIKED THIS CAR. The milage was excellent and even though it did not have a turbo, it crused very nicely on the open road.

My son was driving it and noticed the engine light popping on and off a bit and then nothing. Yes, I said from now on to pull over right away, but I blame myself for not making sure the belt was changed.

So, any input would be appreciated and welcomed especially from anyone who had this happen.

1992 Asto Van LT EXT 4WD (had to repair while 9000 is on the bench)

1995 Saab 9000 CDE

1999 Saab 9-5 2001 Saab 9-5 SE Wagon

Thanks in advance

Reply to
ort11

If you decide to fix it, I have a set of heads from a car that lost the bottom end. Valves alone are $50.00 each from Saab. Look for cracked camshafts and valve guide, common point of failure when belt breaks. BTW, belt replacement is every 30K miles starting at 35K on 94-96 900 and 9000 cars. Saab even pays for the first 3! (35K, 65K and 95K)

Good luck, Steve Crowe, Saab Master Tech snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net Harpers Ferry, WV

Reply to
Steve Crowe

Depending on the extent of the damage I would either repair the existing engine or replace the whole engine with a good used one from a wreck if you can find it. Otherwise options 2 and 3 are about the same.

Reply to
James Sweet

I see you have an execpc account, so you're in the Milwaukee area I'd bet. It would be worth calling Larry Gesch's shop, Country Imports, at 920-625-2298. I didn't notice any V6 9000s in his yard when I was there, but I wasn't looking for them either. He does have a nice Sonett (looks like a '73 or '74) there...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Saab engines use timing chains, so this must be the GM engine with the rubber timing belt. I was told these belts should be changed every

30,000 miles. If you really like the car and it has no rust - fix it. It might be more cost effective to get re-manufactured head. If you choose to find a used engine, replace the timing belt! Price it out both ways, I would be interested in the results since I have a Saab with the GM V6 as well and might be in the same situation in the future.

ort11 wrote:

Reply to
ma_twain

"ma_twain" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

Daaahhh Twain........it states that it's the V6.... ;o)))

CHeers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Better the devil you know .... Fix it if you can - you already know and like the car. New timing belt & full service on the replacement motor is a good idea on istallation in case it's been sititng/neglected. Then check your replacement schedule & stick with it - otherwise the beastie costs a lot as you just discovered! Cheers

Reply to
hippo