Help! Thermostat Emergency

My son has a 97 Saab SE 2.0 Turbo 900 and it's been getting hot on him, he's keeping the coolant level right and all. He's away at college so our regular mechanic can't help him. He's got to use the car to get around to work, etc.

So it's probably the thermostat. I've replaced these in a number of my cars, but long ago. How easy is this for this vehicle? Can someone reasonably mechanicaly inclinded do it? Is there any how-to guide on the web with pictures? I'm not sure he'll be able to get a manual any time quickly, he's kind of out in the boonies. TIA!

Reply to
JerryC

Check out the Townsend Site

They give details for the 900 but they may only apply to the classic 900. Maybe someone else knows if there all the same up till 1997. The specific page is
All I remember is that it was much easier to get at the thermostat in my old classic 900s than in our 9000 and 9-5. Make sure he uses the OEM Saab replacement and not a generic. Saab thermostats are unique.

Good luck

Reply to
R. Frist

If it only overheats at low speed it could be the thermoswitch that controls the electric cooling fan or fans. This is a not uncommon problem with Saabs. I think the AC overrides the thermoswitch so if it overheats only when the AC is off then it is definitly the themoswitch.

Reply to
R. Frist

Just Replaced the thermostat in my 1992 900 s. It took less than 40 minutes and about 2 qts of coolant. stat was 8.00 at auto zone. you will also need a small tube of thermstat housing seal. It takes the place of a gasget. good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

in article snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, PAPAGENE4JACK at snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote on 09/09/2006 02:12:

If you're really frugal, you can drain the coolant out at the bottom of the radiator, collecting it all for re-filling later. Good work, nevertheless :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Thanks for that thought Paul you are right on target. And by the way thanks for your help on solving my thermo problem. Best regards papa gino

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK