2003 Saab 9-5 headlamps

The headlamps in my 9-5 do not turn on - xenon lights turn on but both the other headlamps do not turn on, even on high beam. My suspicion is that a fuse has blown or removed (both bulbs look ok on inspection). Anyone knows how to find out what the problem is? Help appreciated.

Reply to
DrNate

If your 9-5 is the same as my '03 9-3 Vector (and I think it is) the halogen high beams are programmed NOT to come on by SAAB. This is the standard US configuration for all their cars with Bi-Xenons. There are some other-country configurations which will turn the halogen High beams on, but I believe the Bi-Xenon mask then stays in the low beam position. There is also some problem with getting the fog lights to still function when they change the programming for "rest-of-world" configuration, but I have been assured that it can be done. Oh and all of this is also related to the Xenon DRLs (Daytime Running Lights). Search around on DRLs and you should get more info.

My ideal configuration would be:

1) Disable the DRLs and allow me to select OFF or ON with the headlight switch. 2) Turn on the Halogens AND unmask the Bi-Xenon on high beam. 3) Retain full fog light functionality and allow the fogs to come on with the headlight switch in the middle position with the headlights off. This is really what you want when you are crawling thru thick fog.

I'm not sure that you can get all of that done...

Reply to
Fred W

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your model/year, but a cooperative dealer service manager can usually do whatever you want done.

Reply to
- Bob -

Thanks for your comments guys. Looks like the halogen lamps are for all practical purposes a waste in the US configuration. We have to make do with the Xenons (which is pretty bright anyways). I agree that Fred's config is ideal and I am still on the lookout for that cooperative service manager.

So Fred you are not us> >