2004 arc convert. recall

Just FYI the new convertables have an issue with the passenger seat and they aren't safe for riding in. I need to wait 4-6 weeks for a part, meaning almost 2 months without the ability to have a passenger ride safely in a new car. Pretty pathetic.

Reply to
New User

Here's what I found on the NHTSA web site. Note that this problem can affect either front seat, and that Saab should provide a loaner car while the new seats are on order.

Make : SAAB Model : 9-3 Year : 2004

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V514000 Recall Date : DEC 05, 2003

Component: SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:RECLINER Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1658

Consequence: THIS COULD CAUSE THE SEAT BACK TO FOLD FORWARD IN A FRONTAL CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY TO THE DRIVER AND/OR FRONT SEAT PASSENGER.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE VEHICLE'S FRONT SEATS TO DETERMINE IF THEY MAY BE EQUIPPED WITH THE IMPROPERLY INSTALLED COMPONENT. IF EITHER OR BOTH OF THE SEATS HAVE THIS COMPONENT, THEY WILL BE REPLACED. THE DEALER MAY NEED TO ORDER A COMPLETE NEW SEAT OR SEATS (INCLUDING MATCHING UPHOLSTERY) AND THE PARTS MAY TAKE UP TO TWO TO FOUR WEEKS TO ARRIVE. SAAB WILL PROVIDE A RENTAL CAR FOR THE OWNER UNTIL THE NEW SEAT(S) IS (ARE) AVAILABLE AND INSTALLED BY THE DEALER. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SAAB AT 1-800-955-9007.

Notes: SAAB RECALL NO. 15014. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Reply to
Dave Schreiber

Reply to
New User

That's why personally I would never ever buy the first and even second model years. It takes manufacturers a bit of time to get things sorted, and in the meantime you can just hope they have their service network sorted out - 'cause you're going to taste a good dose of it...

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

Yes, there tend to be quite a lot of revisions for the second model years, but first years buyers of a new model get more attention in the street. However, sometimes earlier models are over engineered whereas later models have cost savings to improve profits. The first years model is a toe in the water with respect to what the market wants or accepts.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

On the contrary, I'd say that Saab has found an issue and is taking every possible step to make it as convenient as possible for you to get it repaired. No car is perfect and Saab is going out of their way to reduce any hassle on you. Check out what other auto makers do in a situation like this.

Reply to
Bob

Well I'd like to be as optimistic as you Bob. Here is a history with this car since signing the lease agreement in Nov.

Car delivered 10 days after promised.

Spare key not available, delivered 2 weeks later.

Paint stain inside passenger door

Compass won't calibrate, brought in, part needed to be ordered

Part delivered and installed, compass still doesn't work, I'm told by dealership it never will.

500 dollar CA car tax rebate checked promised by sales manager on 11/4/03 still not received 1/13/04

Recall notice received on front passenger seat, unsafe for front passenger to ride according NTHSA/Saab

Told recall part will take 4-6 weeks to be delivered

Not exactly a great customer experience for a $46,000 car.

convertable.

Reply to
New User

This can happen.

Time to get mildly annoyed, depending on dealer's attitude.

Have them fix.

Reasonable action so far, makes me wonder how it got past QA.

Then it goes back to the dealer, they supply you with rental car, etc, at their expense, until it does work.

Talk to dealer, then perhaps to SAAB USA, or whomever, at least would be interesting to know what the holdup is....

Ok, happens to everybody, I'd say.

Which is not surprising, all things considered.

Nope, much will depend on what the dealership does. Some things might be out of their control, such as deliver times. Other things are, and how they handle things will be a determining factor. Don't think that this can qualify under any sort of lemon law,

Hopefully, this is all that happens, but you can always try to get what you can for the experience. They are providing you a free loaner car, and that's a plus. (ought to be a Saab, mind you....)

As to the rest? Don't know, can't say, but I do hope that they are dealing with you in good faith.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White