80 Saab

I am thinking about buying a 80 Saab 2dr,155,000miles,auto for a $1000 from a friend of mine. The car has no rust and runs very well when it is running. The problem is while it's being driven the car will shut off completely. It powers off, no fuel, no light, no nothing. What could be the problem. Thanks.

Reply to
Mac

Check the ignition switch. An easy test would be to start it up, put it in neutral or park and wiggle the ignition switch. If it cuts off, you found the problem. Your description of the symptoms is just like someone turned the key to the off position.

If this does not do it, I would check the main battery cables next.

Good luck!

Reply to
ma_twain

Does jiggling the ignition switch have any effect?

Reply to
James Sweet

My 78 (99) has a fairly large connector block that has caused a bit of trouble through the years. It connects the wiring harness in the engine compartiment to that in the cabin, including the ignition switch.

In my 99 it is located just above the passenger's feet - 900's may have it located in the drivers side, as that is where the fuse-box is located - right?.

Look out for signs of overheating.

Reply to
Frode
99? Check the two grey wires running from the B+ terminal of the alternator to the fuse box pos. 5 & 6. These supply all the power to the entire car through fuses 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. Check the rivets at the 'hot' side of these fuses. Sometimes the rivets are loose/corroded/bad contact. This will have the same effect as turning the ign. key 'off'.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH