Heated Seat Question

My heated Front Driver's seat died on me today.(85 900T) Hopefully it's not an omen. Just curious how I'd go about troubleshooting the problem. The passenger seat still works, so I don't think it's a fuse. Any guesses? It just went out for no reason.. I've been using it a bit lately since it's been cold, but no problems with it. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Larry

Reply to
LC

Start by checking for voltage at the seat with the switch on, if it's present, then remove the seat and go from there. I haven't yet pulled apart a Saab seat, but the usual problem with Volvo seat heaters is that the wire breaks off at the thermostat under the upholstery, not hard to fix once you figure out how to get it apart. Could be something as simple as the seat occupancy sensor if it has one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oddly enough. I don't think there's an occupancy switch. The passenger seat comes on(at least the light does) whenever I flip the switch.

Reply to
LC

True. My passenger seat will get hot with nobody sitting there. Doesn't seem like a good idea, but I guess Saab figured you oughta be responsible enough to turn it off when you're not using it.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

This is common with c900 heated seats. Usually it's due to the element breaking somewhere. It's easy enough to see where once you peel back the upholstery, since it generally leaves a burn mark in the foam. Search around on google, there are various Saab-specific heated seat repair guides available.

John

Reply to
John B

And the 95/96

Disconnect the heater element wires under the seat and test for continuity. If there is none, the heater wire is broken/disconnected in the seat, usually at the terminals of the thermostat switch in the seat.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

There is usually a spring-switch under the seat, operated by the weight of the passenger to prevent this happening. Check it hasn't been stretched, so it is always ON.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

This is also common in Volvo seats. The heat element breaks, often when someone kneels on the seat or stands on the seat. I have the best of both worlds - a 245 turbo and a C900 turbo - both with manual transmissions :-) Different cars, different rides.

Reply to
ma_twain

Um, I'm not quite sure how to. And it seems unlikely, as the car is only 2.5 yrs old. A large percentage of the time nobody's in the passenger seat.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

What car is it? If it is young enough it should have a dash switch, then you can switch it off.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

It's a 2002 9-5 Aero, and it DOES have a dash switch. (Don't all models with seat heaters? Otherwise it'd be boiling your butt all summer.)

But James and Richard both indicate at least some models have an occupancy switch as well.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Most of them should, or a good in-seat thermostat, otherwise it could burn up if left switched on with nobody in the seat, I saw an old Volvo seat once that had the foam badly burned and melted and the seat heater was completely melted down.

Reply to
James Sweet

No, some only have a thermostatic switch in the seat.

yes, also for the safety belt warning light (no need to light the light if there's no passenger)