9-3 front rotor change?

I'm helping a friend with front rotors on his 2001 9-3 this weekend. I've done pads on my '99 9-5, and they look like the same brakes so no worries there, but:

How is the rotor held on the 2001 9-3? What tool (torx? something else?) do I need to remove whatever holds the rotor to the hub? Any non-intuitive/obvious gotchas?

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Rust?

This guy must drive alot of miles to be replacing the front rotors of

2001. I have had front rotors last over 100,000 miles on my Saabs and Volvo. The rear rotors have been good for over 200,000 miles. Is this indicative of the life of the 9-3 rotors versus the 900 rotors?
Reply to
ma_twain

OK, no bolts then? I thought it might be like the c900 where there's a torx bolt or two holding the rotor to the hub?

Not especially. It's his first pads in 30,000 miles, and they're all city miles so he's got much more braking than I do. We're putting ventilated rotors on, it's not that the old ones are shot but it's an upgrade thing.

Naah, just an upgrade while we have the pads off.

So, no fasteners holding the rotors to the hubs on a 9-3 then?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Nilsa & Barry

Thanks, I keep forgetting about saabnet. I looked yesterday and it looks like an allen wrench is all that's needed to take out the flat-headed bolt that's holding the rotor to the hub.

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

7mm allen for the caliper, torx for screw holding disc to hub, think it's a T30.. and 18mm to remove caliper carrier bolts.
murphwiz

It's definately an allen-head on both his 9-3 and my '99 9-5.

Ah. And the caliper needs to come off for the rotor, I suppose. Must get one of those then, thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz