Saab 9-3 rear brakes blues - NEED HELP!!!

Hi,

Time for a disk and pad job on my '99 9-3. I got the disks (rotors) out ok, but for the life of me, I can not figure out how to get the pins that hold the pads out. I tried tapping, looked for an allen key hole, nothing. The Saab knowledge pdf said just remove them???!!!???

Please help, as my baby is on jacks!

Note: the pins are pretty rusted out.

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Ben

I've not had to do that job yet on mine. WIS also helpfully says "remove the pins" :o)

The drawing shows them with heads, so I can only guess they have to be knocked inwards so as to take them out from the back.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Just talked to an "old" Saab mechanic in Montreal, told me you got to hammer them out and replace them. Lovely!

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Reply to
Nilsa & Barry

Tap out from inside towards outside of the car or the other way around?

Ben

Nilsa & Barry wrote:

Reply to
Ben

There's a little hole on one end of the pin, and a big hole on the other end. Tap out in the way that makes sense. Think of the pins as shaped like a golf tee and it'll be clear. I'm not in front of my car right now, but pretty sure that means outwards from the centerline of the car to take 'em out. A small punch and a hammer would work, a nail with the tip flattened would do in a pinch. 5 minute job to do the second side...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

WIS shows the head on the inside (furthest from the wheel) so it looks like you need to knock the outside end.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

You need to split the caliper in half

Reply to
Alaris

How sure are you of that? On my '99 9-5, which has what looks like the same calipers, it's a simple matter of driving those pins out from the small end to the large end.

Reply to
Dave Hinz