9.3 start problems

I am having random starting problems w/ my 2000 9.3 SE w/ 90K miles. It happens occasionally when I drive about 10 - 20 minutes stop for a short while (5-15 minutes) turn it back on and it won't start. The key turns and the electric panel charges, but nothing else. It doesn't turn over or make any sounds whatsoever. If I wait about 20-25 minutes it starts again. I've taken it to the dealership 4 different times now and they've been unable to recreate the problem. Someone else in this group had a similar problem, but I wasn't able to contact them for the remedy. Please help! Oh and they did recheck and fix the connections to the battery and that wasn't it. Thanks, Jill

Reply to
jttiddlywinks

I was just about to ask the very same question! I have a 2001 9-5 Aero that does the same thing.

Donald

Reply to
cameca8
  1. If you still have the original battery, consider replacing it.

  1. If you don't, you may have a loose electrical connection either in the starter solenoid or on the battery post.

Reply to
Pete T.

A buddy of mine suggested it might have something to do with the security system. It happens when we just run in and out somewhere and probably don't put the car in lockdown mode. He suggested trying to put it into lockdown mode then taking it back out and seeing if it started then. I've got a few short errands I'm gonna run tomorrow so maybe I can try it.

Reply to
cameca8

Hmm, wondering if you can explain what lockdown mode means? I'm not familiar with that. Also, re: the other persons comment about the battery. The battery is fairly new (6 mos) and that definitely isn't the problem because I get the electric to go on, just no start. It's soooo frustrating!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A buddy of mine suggested it might have something to do with the security system. It happens when we just run in and out somewhere and probably don't put the car in lockdown mode. He suggested trying to put it into lockdown mode then taking it back out and seeing if it started then. I've got a few short errands I'm gonna run tomorrow so maybe I can try it.

Reply to
jttiddlywinks

Lockdown is basically when the alarm is on. You can't open the car from the inside and (I believe) it kills the ignition. My buddy said the computer in the car may be confused and think it needs to be in lockdown mode. This is just a guess.

Reply to
cameca8

And a guess that seems to be wrong. Oh well. Do you have both keys to your car? My wife (though she's only driven the saab a little) has never experienced this problem. I'm gonna try her key a while and see if it still does it.

Reply to
cameca8

in the car may be confused and think it needs to be in lockdown mode. This is just a guess.

experienced this problem. I'm gonna try her key a while and see if it still does it.

Yes, I have both keys. I probably haven't used the other one though in about a year. I have had my car at the auto shop now for a week. It's gotten to the point where the owner of the shop is driving my car home with him every day to see if he can recreate the problem. I'm praying it failed over this weekend and I'll have good news tomorrow. I'll be sleeping w/ my fingers crossed tonight. UGH! Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
jttiddlywinks

computer in the car may be confused and think it needs to be in lockdown mode. This is just a guess.

experienced this problem. I'm gonna try her key a while and see if it still does it.

And if you find out what it is, please let me know so I can fix mine! =)

Reply to
cameca8

It's not the keys. I'm stuck without a way to work and neither key is working.

Reply to
cameca8