9-5 gas mileage?

The real ones, of course.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Google being a US company, it defaults to US gallons. Even if you do the query on google.co.uk. :-)

You want UK gallons, just ask for it:

11 liters per 100 km in miles per UK gallon or 11 liters per 100 km in miles per imperial gallon
Reply to
Gary Fritz

Arg, *imperial* gallons! Now I know why my SID gives me an average miles per gallon that is way too high. I switched my SID to "Imperial" mode because I like temperature in celcius, but I still wanted miles and gallons. I completely forgot about "imperial gallons" until this thread.? The 32.4 mpg my SID is telling me is really 27.0 mpg in my part of the world. I always wondered why the thing was so far off. Now I know.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Doesn't bother me -- it says more about the nitpicker than the nitpickee.

Thanks to all who responded in earnest.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Apologies for any unnecessary offence caused.

I was having a 'bad day' and it showed.

Part of the 'bad day' involved a US electronics data sheet that was exclusively in 'British' units - not to mention some very obscure units that are exclusive to the USA like 'square mils' and AWG - sorry - 'formerly British units' ( as opposed to nice metric units that make equations about

1/3 the size) - we've metricated here now for engineering and much else for many decades - well after a fashion at least - lol !

I still quite like inches and feet for 'everyday ' measurements since thay are kinda 'tangible' convenient sizes. Engineering is another story. Doing conversions between 'irrational units' is simply a pain in the arse and nearly put me off physics - luckily the MKS sytem ( almost the same as SI ) came to the rescue and physics became my strongest subject.

Cheers, Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In the UK - fuel is sold by the litre and mass is measured in kg and tonnes.

It's just the US that's dragging its feet.

The UK does admittedly use 'tradional' units for some everday measurements as a legacy measure but these are normally accompanied by their metric equivalents.

For some curious reason we still use miles. I wouldn't object to converting to km but I hate to think what the cost of changing road signs would be !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hi Gary.

I'm going to be controversial once more - 'cos I can be - lol ;-)

There would be no Google if it wasn't for a Brit called Tim Berners-Lee who 'invented' the world wide web. As I understand it he came up with the idea of html and domains and stuff. Before that the internet was just a boring network protocol ( oh it still is too when you want it to be ) .

Touche !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Much as I appreciate your comments in this respect.......

The International spelling ( the other 96% of the world ) is 'litres' ! Ditto 'metres' and so on.

Why oh *why* does the US want to be the bad boy when it comes to ( ignoring ) international harmonisation ? Is it a testosterone thing or what ? I can't work it out for sure.

Yours puzzled,

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Blame the Yanks !

They redefined the gallon, pint, ton, that were well recognised standards before.

This kind of stuff is exactly why use of metric units is sensible. No more regional variants.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

measurements as a

The UK really is screwed up, can't make up it's mind between imperial and metric, so uses a mix! At least the US is consistently inconsistent!

Mind you, our metric system is not all it's cracked up to be, with some of the standard measurements we are forced to use - why oh why did we ever accept that stupid litres per 100 kilometre for fuel consumption?? It is a totally impracticable measurement. For example, your tank is 1/4 full, it holds 40 litres, so you've got 10 litres left. Quick, while you are driving, how far can you go before you have to refuel at 7.2 litres per 100Km? Not easy, eh, unless you are a maths genius! Now if we had used Km/litre instead, you could quickly and mentally calculate 13.9x10 =3D 139 Km.

But of course it doesn't really matter as we are driving Saab 9-5's: so we just roll the SID over to DTG and read 139 km off the screen!

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

Old people are scared so they lobby against it. It's funny really because all of our computer systems, test equip, etc. all use metric. Most technical types in the US have no problem with the metric system since they already use it. Most people who have served in the Army or Marines usually know it pretty well too since most measurements are in metric. The maritime community still uses the nautical units of measurements though. Even our sawmills mostly use metric.

Reply to
WitchDr

They ignore most everything international...

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Pooh Bear wrote

Ireland changed to metric speed limits on 20 Jan 2005. They say:

58,000 metric speed limit signs will be erected by the localauthorities in a short period prior to 20th January involvingreplacement of 35,000 existing speed limit signs and provision of23,000 new signs.

The total cost of this changeover is estimated to be ?11.5 million - ?9.0m for signs and ?2.5m for the public information campaign.

Pat Norton

How much do you think it would cost to switch all the street signs that are in miles or miles per hour to kilometers or kilometers per hour? Don't forget: you can't just the switch the units, you'd also have to physically move the signs, otherwise "Boston 1 Mile" would become "Boston

1.609344 kilometers." Is it worth spending millions or maybe even billions of dollars to switch just to synchronize our measurements with the rest of the world?

And aside from all the money we'd have to spend, metric isn't any more convenient for measuring distance in an automobile than the US system. The nice thing about metric in science and engineering is that the units are all related in some way. What good does that do me when I'm driving?

So, really, what's the point? What exactly would we gain by switching to metric for distances? You really need to come up with a better argument from switching than "testosterone."

Reply to
Shane Almeida

we just spent something like 150 billion to alienate most of the rest of the world. so a hundred million to change street signs and cooperate with the rest of the world doesn't seem so unreasonable.

"Shane Almeida" wrote >> Why oh *why* does the US want to be the bad boy when it comes to (

Reply to
Tim

Well, now that we alienated everyone else, who cares what system of measurement we use in our corner of the world? I guess we can all stop arguing about it now.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

*heh* I had to smile when studying a Michelin map (okay, French by origin but this was an Anglophonic edition) of the US. Within the US distances were in miles. Cross the border into Mexico and suddenly it was only Km. I had to wonder if Michelin had thought through completely whom they were making the map for.

Otherwise, NB, it was an excellent map for long distance US work: one of those which does the whole country in 3 maps but gets tiny details right.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

And guess what? The US army makes extensive use of the metric system!

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Oh, you can't really believe that! Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc?

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

...when its in their own interest.