9000 Aero - Traction Control

Just bought another 9000 CS Aero but this one has TCS.

The car is a 1995 model with 65,000 miles on the clock. Always main dealer serviced.

There is a switch to turn the TCS on and off.

I remember hearing that the TCS system on this age of Saab was problematical and the best thing to do was to turn it off not use it at all, as repairs are very expensive and not uncommon.

Can anyone let me know how to treat my TCS - on or off ? It is about to go in for a 66,000 mile service so should I ask the dealer to check anything particular with it ?

Thanks

N.

Reply to
Macunlimited

Hi,

if you have no problems with it and feel comfortable with it, leave it on. if you notice something strange like the TCS takin action too fast then just turn it off. a TCS that can be turned off cant be problematic :) unless you insist on having it. at just 66.000 miles there shouldnt be anything big coming up at you yet, depending on driving style and road quality you might need new shocks or engine mounts in the next

40.000 miles but if there is nothing wrong with your car, just keep on driving it and have fun! and dont forget to remove ANY rust as soon as possible, and check your tires for balance/correct pressure and make sure that your brakes are working properly. just the usual things and do frequent oil changes with new filter at no more than 10k miles interval and dont run your car hard from cold starts, wait until the water is warmed up and then wait the time it took for the water to warm up again! (then the oil should be warm enough) and you can fly :)

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz

The TCS switch mometarily turns off the TCS. If you are on a very slippery surface (ice) it's possible that the TCS will not allow enough wheel spin to make ANY forward progress, hence turning it off allows the wheels to spin unregulated to get moving. I beleive that you can only swich it off at speeds below 37mph. If the ignition is switched off, the next time it is turned on the TCS will be engaged again.

The switch will NOT eliminate problems with the TCS components and it can not be used in leiu of a malfunctioning TCS system. If the system faults and goes into Limp Home mode the switch is useless. Its only use is to turn off a healthy system momentarily to allow for some wheel spin (burnouts etc)

problematical

Reply to
Red Aero

sorry then, i stand correct. i also heard it is hard to convert from TCS to non-TCS, last time i read a post involving that it was something about emulating some signal to trick the computer. doesnt sound like fun.

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz