POWER STEERING POROBLEM

I have a Toyota Carina ED with a 1S engine. Recently I discovered a leak in the power steering system and replaced the fluid with an unknown brand from the Midle East. Unfortunately the steering still doesn't work and it is hard to turn while on silence!! On the reservoir cap it is written "Use Dexron PSF". What shall I do? Can flushing and refill with any Dexron brand do?

Yours Madiba Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Reply to
joemasome

If the power steering system was run dry then it is possible that the power steering pump was damaged.

The power steering system should have more specific specifications on the type of Dexron fluid, like Dexron III or Dexron IV. If the incorrect fluid was added, then it would have to be flushed and refilled.

Reply to
Ray O

This brings up an interesting question:

All my other Toys have come with Power Steerig fluid in the reservior. So did my Supra.

BUT: The bottle says Dexron-Mercon II ATF!!!! I have heard of this, but never seen it before. Perhaps the rack was replaced on the Supra, and the replacer added PSF instead of ATF.

So, what's the difference?

Reply to
Hachiroku

To be honest, I do not know what the difference is between PSF and ATF. Philip and the chap from the UK (having a brain fade, can't remember his nym) are much more knowledgeable about lubricants than me.

I do know that Toyotas have been using Dexron ATF in power steering systems for a while, and some manual transmissions also use ATF for lubricant.

Reply to
Ray O