9000 performance drop-off - any clues please?

Hello all - a couple of weeks ago my '96 9000 2.3LPT (170K miles) seemed to lose a chunk of performance. It starts, idles, and runs fine, and there are no warning lights, odd noises, smoke, or any clues to help identify the cause, but the performance has really dropped off

- almost like the turbo has stopped turbo-ing. Yesterday I was burnt off by a Ford Transit van on a long hill climb!

I haven't been on the group for probably a couple of years, having lost my access some time ago, but wonder if anyone can offer suggestions on where to start with this problem please? I've lifted the bonnet and can't see any pipes or wires hanging off.

Any clues appreciated (except selling it).

PP

Reply to
pidgeonpost

I'm monitor boost pressure to verify the turbo is working OK (even if you can hear it spooling up, it may be damaged and not building pressure). I'd also consider monitoring live ODBII data and seeing if any readings are a bit off.

Reply to
PeterD

Hi Peter and thanks for your suggestions. There's no boost gauge on my car, so I guess it's off to the dealer (along with my credit card.....).

Best wishes,

PP

Reply to
pidgeonpost

Your wastegate rod is probably dangling, and so you're not getting any boost:

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

quoted text -

Bob,

I'll check this as soon as I can grovel under the car and take a look. However, another member of the group suggested checking the dump valve operation, and the operation of the one-way valve that sits between the cam cover and the throttle housing. These seem to be OK but the tubing had pretty much had it. A temporary repair until I can get some tubing seems to have restored the performance, though I only had time for a quick drive.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Best wishes

PP

Reply to