9000 Rotors

I'm changing out the rotors on my 91 9000 Turbo. I've removed the screw and alignment post from the face of the old rotor - but the rotor won't budge! Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Give it a few sharp raps with a 2 lb hammer.

Reply to
yaofeng

When I was a professional Saab Mechanic, we used a plastic/rubber small hammer and smacked it a few times behind the rotor to slide it from the cylindrical hub. Be careful not to hit anything else.

The 9000 front rotors were usually more difficult to remove than the rears since

80% of the braking is in the front.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Yes. No doubt you are missing the part where you have to wail away on the rotors from behind with a sledge hammer and block of wood to get them off the rusty hubs. ;-)

Don't worry about them too much. They are being replaced, after all.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

multiply that by 5 or 10 and you'll be in business...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

You've removed all the fasteners you need to - it's now just a rust situation. If you have a large gear puller, now is a good time to use it. Stand back, tighten it until it's tight, wait...lather, rinse, and repeat until you get a "ka-thwang" which will hopefully be it coming loose rather than it breaking into pieces, which makes it trickier.

I wouldn't use much heat, and don't hammer on it unless you don't like your wheel bearings much.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

This might sound daft, but instead hitting from behind hard, try hitting from the front, moderatley gently with a heavy hammer, in a bouncing motion moving arround the disk, it can shock break corrosion with far less effort than trying to beat it from behind.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar