900s gearbox problem

Hi there,

My second gear sync has gone when I change up from 1st to 2nd there's a crunching sound can change down from 3rd to 2nd no crunching.

I'm in the UK and my SAAB mechanic has said that the gearbox (gears) will obviously have to be removed and sent off for the sync to be repaired on 2nd gear and whilst it's with them they can overhaul it.

Any ideas of what this might cost here in the UK and whilst this work is being done should I have the mechanic look at anything else?

Many thanks, Tim.

Reply to
Tim

Yeah, that happens.

The gearbox overhaul should be £500-£800, + removal / refitting.

Since they're be pulling the engine to remove the gearbox, there's a whole load of things you could/should do at the same time if you intend to keep the car for a while.

The bare minimum I'd do is:

4x CV boots Clutch (including slave) Crank seal + pilot bearing Engine mounts

But there's a *lot* more I'd do with the engine out.

Reply to
Grunff

And fortunately you can get most of these bits from sellers on Ebay, which is how I'm getting most of the parts for my late-1982 900-S. Except for headlights which for some reason are hard to get (the proper Euro-style ones at least).

8-) It all depends on the resources available.

Craig.

-- Craig Ian Dewick ( snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au).

APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP). Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick