99 9-3 Lost key

A friend has a 99 9-3, and lost the key. She said she went to the dealer and said they would have to replace the whole anti theft system for $2,000. This sounds a little crazy. If my key in my 96 Mercedes is lost, it is $200 for a new one. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Steve

Yup. Don't lose the last key, because it gets really expensive. Sorry to be blunt, but yeah. The car comes with two sets, and without either of them, the car doesn't know that you're not someone trying to steal it, so it can't differentiate between a forgetful owner, and a criminal.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've seen every now and then a "theft kit" on ebay for the Saabs that includes two keys and the TWICE modules as well as the locks to match. Generally a lot less than what the dealer would charge you for the parts, but someone with the computer system would have to put it in.

But yea, don't lose that last key, it's big trouble. Last time I lost my

2nd key, I was at the dealer getting a new one within a week.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Yes, alas it is true. Saab made the decision that *no one* was going to be able to steal a Saab once locked with a remote. Other makes have provided means for field programming - which allows them to be stolen.

In the same vein... don't get your only remote wet or it will be a long time before you drive home. Also, test your remote by consistently using it from a distance so you know when the batteries are getting weak.

Reply to
Bob

your remote will tell you when the batteries are getting weak. And when they are, the remote will still open the car when you're standing right next to it. Mine did just that two weeks ago.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Mine never told me AFAIK. Maybe that's year specific?

As for weak.. yes.. that's why I use my remote from 25+ feet away. When it stops working at that distance I change batteries.

Reply to
Bob