99 9-3 Camshaft Sensor Location

I searched the forum a few people with the convertible 9-3 had been told that they did not have a camshaft position sensor...but the check engine computer readout said it was errored... WTF?

Anyway I have the 4-door hatchback, not the convertible and computer readout says Camshaft Position Sensor. Dealership quoted $130.00 for the part, so the car has to have it. Car runs very good except when not completely up to temperature, seems to not want to start with as quickly as usual.

Reply to
Mitch Knight

WTF?, The computer must be right. Right? Guess what, this car DOES NOT have a camshaft position sensor, nor does it have a knock sensor. The function of these sensors is performed by the Direct Ignition Cassette. If you have a P0340 code, you need a new DI.

Parts guys are wrong. Happens everyday and my parts guy used to be a tech. Seriously, Saab make looking up parts a real PIA sometimes.

Good luck, Steve

Reply to
Scrowe

Are you sure they don't mean the crankshaft position sender? This item is situated on the front of the cylinder block.

Reply to
John Hudson

Where is the direct ignition cassette? Is this what the spark plug wire housing/components is referred to as?

Reply to
Mitch Knight

The red device in the center on the valve cover. It is marked DIRECT IGNITION.

Steve

Reply to
Scrowe