Another 9000 question - CS Turbo without turbo gauge?

First, let me say thanks to all who have answered my previous questions.

I was very interested in this 9000 CS Turbo in Wisconsin (about 300 miles away). Before making plans to drive out I asked every question I could think of. 9000 seems like a nice car, but... it has no turbo gauge. Was the 9000 CS Turbo made without a turbo gauge? Could it be the person just did not know? If not, is it possible to just purchase an instrument panel off say Ebay and install it easily? All I would need to do is run a vacuum line to the gauge correct?

Without the gauge it is somewhat of a deal breaker as I see it important to monitor the boost. Especially on an older car where the risk of the turbo burning out is greater.

Reply to
Anon-e-mouse

The turbo guage is handy but not really terribly important as you can feel the boost in the power the engine produces. What concerns me more is the possibility that the car is not really a turbo at all, or that the instrument cluster has been replaced and the mileage on the odometer may not be even close. Of course they may have made a 9000 without a boost guage, I've never seen one though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Anon-e-mouse wrote in news:TBk2e.905$ snipped-for-privacy@fe45.usenetserver.com:

May be an LPT turbo. (Light Pressure). My 1995 9000CS LPT Turbo didn't have a gauge. The LPT had a smoother power curve and less lag at startup than the full pressure 1997 900 CS I've got now. You can check the VIN number to see what kind of engine it has in it.

9000 LPT had a U for engine type.

Reply to
Laura K

Howdy,

earlier on you said the car was a CDE. If that is the case (CDE versus some other model) it does not have a turbo gauge. It has what saab refers to as a Low Pressure Turbo (and the E stands for Economy ... as the car is supposed to use less fuel than a full pressure turbo).

Since I started writing I see two more replies and I am tempted to agree with Laura.

In the UK though, for insurance purposes they are both classed as Turbo. Also in the UK a low case 't' means LPT and a capital 'T' means full pressure turbo.

Hope it helps muddle the waters. Charles :-)

Reply to
Charles C.

In retrospect I got the 'E' part wrong. It does not stand for 'E'conomy :-( Sorry, can't tell what it stood for but it was added on the more luxurious models (ie. air con and probably leather seats as standard).

I must not have fermented grape juice and post on usenet.

Reply to
Charles C.

I think starting 1995, there are LPT and the regular FPT in 9000. Yours is the LPT.

Reply to
yaofeng

Well, weird story. I stopped by the dealer to ask them about this on my way home from work. Ended up leaving with a 93 9000 CDE Turbo. Go figure, I only really wanted just a question answered and I end up getting a car. Anyways, they explained that was the low pressure turbo model, and right then I realized I was going to pass on that one. If I am going to buy a turbo model, I might as well get a real one and not some stripped down.

Reply to
Anon-e-mouse

Some car salesmen are pretty good.

Reply to
yaofeng

It is.

That's a low pressure turbo model then.

Low pressure turbos never had the gauge.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What year is it? Early CS/CSE up to MY 1993 came with different engines in different markets.

B202i 130 bhp B202S 150 bhp turbo (LPT) B202 160 to 175 bhp turbo B234L 200 bhp turbo B234R 225 bhp turbo

Your car may be an LPT, then it doesn't need a turbo gauge. The engine has various control systems to prevent damage. Although the B202S is regarded as an LPT, it wasn't named as such. The log book for my car describes it as CSE turbo. The LPT concept for the 9000 was introduced from 1994 as 'ECO' engines. At that time, insurance companies (UK) didn't like anything with 'turbo', so it was perhaps practical to drop the 'turbo' name.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I was going to correct you but see you beat me to it. ;-)

Yes the "E" models were the super-duper luxo models. My '93 CSE has a (capital "T") full pressure turbo as does most (all?) CDE's I have seen. However, I think the engine choices varied by year.

To the OP, I believe Laura got it right. The absence of a gauge means either A) no turbo at all or 2) LPT.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

"Anon-e-mouse" skrev i en meddelelse news:FQn2e.4274$ snipped-for-privacy@fe24.usenetserver.com...

The FPT (200 Bhp) and the LPT (170 Bhp) are a 100% the same.

If you've got a LPT, you can convert it to a FPT for around $500.-

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

$500? I though the Speedparts step 1 kit (SEK 6600) was the cheapest... Tell us more :) BTW: I recall rumours about the FPT being reinforced in several places (driveshafts? brakes?) compared to the LPT. Comments?

regards Per

Reply to
Per Laursen

I think Henrik was suggesting that you just gop to the scrap yard and buy a used FPT APC module. That is the only difference between FPT and LPT configurations.

I have never heard the parts you mention are beefed up on the FPT models, though that would make some sense.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

"Malt_Hound" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Correct. :o)

Nope, the two cars are exact the same.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

No they are not. The LPT uses manual transmission FM57101. The FPT uses FM57001. The difference is the drive flange. LPT has a smaller drive flange than the FPT. Internally FM57001 and FM57101 are the same as far as I know.

Reply to
yaofeng

I agree with laura on the LPT, I had a 1996 9000CS LPT, no turbo gauge.

Reply to
Walp