Automatic gearbox cooler

Can anyone help. I'm have a 9000CSE 2.0T auto. I want to tow a caravan with it, according to the hand book I need to fit an additional oil cooler for the auto box. Has any body had tried towing with the car in standard format ie no additonal cooler. I don't want to go to the expense of fitting one if its not necessary. Secondly If I have to fit one any idea of costs. Cheers

Reply to
Kevin.munday

How heavy (total weight) is the trailer yo want to tow? I believe there is already a trans-cooler built into the radiator. With the SAAB automatics being as finicky as they are, an additional cooler would be a good idea if the trailer is of any major weight.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I have a 1989 2.3i auto (185k miles) and have towed with the car a fair bit over the 8 yrs I've owned it and I do not have an additional cooler and have never had a problem. However, most of my trips are 2 hours or less.

Reply to
Gizzmo