Battery problem or something else?

Hi

The car is 9000 2.0lt 1997.

It seems that the original battery is dying fast and i must do something tomorrow. My puzzle is I that unlike other batteries in previous cars this is dying very fast which makes me think if there is something draining it ... or there is a problem with the alternator (belt was replaced a month ago).

Can anyone advice on any procedure for checking the condition of the battery?

Any idea who manufactured saab batteries before the total take over of saab by GM? I would not mind another battery that gives 7.5 years of life :-)

Thanks Charles

PS. The reason I am saying it is dying fast ... On saturday I did 140 (imperial) miles. On Sunday I noticed it had 1/2 or 1 slow revolution before it started ... till tonight when it took 3 slow revolutions for the engine to start.

We have also have had some of our coldest weather during last week (best time for the battery to give up).

Reply to
Charles C.

"Charles C." wrote in message news:421bbe13$0$8747$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Batteries sometimes go even faster than that. That 7+ year old battery doesn't owe you anything...

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

I once had a seemingly fine battery die overnight on me.

Extremes of temperature do seem to accelerate any latent defects.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I heartily concur with Fred and Graham, our NG900 needed a new battery a couple of weeks ago, with first sign of trouble being completely dead!

Al

Reply to
Al

As opposed to metric miles? :-)

Almost certainly just at the end of its life. Replace it with a good quality battery from your nearest motor factor (even Halfords batteries are quite good these days). Never forget - a battery costs the same as

1-2 fillups, so don't begrudge your car a new one every now and then.

With the engine running, turn on all the electric stuff (headlights/rear windscreen heater/fan etc), and measure the voltage across the battery. As long as it's over 13V, your charging system is fine.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for all the replies. It was dead in the morning (pleased that I predicted that), quick charge and went and got another one.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.