Brake and speedometer problem 99/9-5

Just had the brake, ABS and warning (triangular light in the middle) come on and the speedometer stopped working.

I'm thinking this must be related to sensor gone bad. Alldata doesn't seem to have any info on this. Brakes seem to be working fine. Any information on this problem woould be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
P Kemp

============================================ Hello Peter,

Had exactly the same problem on my -95, 9-3, and after measuring the entire system, then it came to light that the speedometer rotor, located in the left rear wheel had failed, this due to that moister had entered into the unit, my remedy was to replace the entire left-hand rear wheel hub, the mentioned sensor is built into the hub, and can not be replaced by itself, should also mention that the ABS sensor is separate from the speed sensor, but they work together, and both must function in order for the system to properly work.

Suggest that you measure the resistance in all the sensor at the wheels, one by one by removing the connector at each wheel, the resistance should be some where in the area of 16 to 20 ohms, if I remember properly, you better check the manual to be sure, then you rise the left hand rear wheel and turn it, and the output reading on your voltmeter at the connector should be around 1 V, if not then you have to replace the hub, and it will cost you some money, myself was lucky, found a hub from the wrecker that had been in a accident, and was in a very good shape, if you procure a new one, then here in Sweden you have to pay some USD 350 for the parts, and if you can not do the work itself it will cost you even more, because you have to strip down the entire left rear wheel components / axle.

Hope that said information may help you to locate the problem.

Regards,

Reply to
Jambo

Thank you for the reply and the helpful information. Two days later the lights went out and the speedometer started working again. I'll keep your info handy just in case it turns into a permanent situation.

Thanks again

Reply to
P Kemp

Hello,

Same happened to me, worked for a while, then failed.

Reply to
Jambo