Pickup pulls right while braking

Ok here it goes...

I have a 1988 PU, 2WD, regular cab, manual steering.

Here's the problem. When I step on the brake, the vehicle tends to pull to the right. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, more like

60% - 70% of the time.

Granted, the alignment tends to pull me to the right, but it is not that bad. Before everyone blames the alignment, keep in mind its been my experience that just because the alignment is off doesnt necessarily mean the car will pull during braking. I've driven plenty of cars with questionable alignment that still stop straight ahead.

However, I will say...If i take my hands off the wheel and allow the car to pull right, braking will make it pull more to the right (but keep in mind, not all the time)...so who knows...

What is everyone's idea's on this? Ive bled the brakes recently, hoping that would be it...but no good. The brake lines are new also.

Perhaps its the left caliper?

Cheers

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I was going to suggest this. Have you checked it? Are the pads on the left wearing evenly? From just what you said, I'd suspect that the left caliper is stuck...

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

You know, Ive narrowed the problem down a bit...

When the truck is pulling to the right and I hit the brakes, I pull more to the right.

If the truck is not pulling to the right and I hit the brakes, I brake straight ahead...(but shouldn't alignment problems be consistent??)

This is looking to be more of an alignment problem thatn a stuck caliper. I noticed visually the wheel on the drivers side (right) is toe-out...very suspect! I would bring it for an alignment, but I noticed my inner tie rod on that wheel is fairly shot. Im going to replace it first, see if I can bring the wheel toe-in a tad and see what happens...

Tom

Reply to
Tom