change head unit?

I have been thinking of trading out the factory cassette/radio in my 9000 for my JVC CD/radio, mainly so I can listen to CD's. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether this is feasible and/or a good idea? I haven't been super impressed with the Saab radio, although I do like the sound system (mainly speakers). I know I could also add a changer to the trunk, but it seems less convenient.

Also, will the antenna motor go up when I turn on an aftermarket head unit?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack McCullough

Yea, it's pretty easy to do. If you've got the equalizer it won't work, of course. The easiest way to do it is to buy a wiring harness from Crutchfield.com that you connect up to your new radio that lets you plug right into the car harness. That way, all of the wiring is done in a way that won't damage the car in case you want to put the old radio back in AND you're doing it on a bench instead of tryign to wire stuff inside the dash.

I did this on my 90 9000 and it worked great. (in fact, it was a JVC CD player)

Reply to
Bill Jackson

I also replaced my head unit. I have a Blaupunkt radio with MiniDisc and used the second DIN slot for an in-dash CD changer. It works great and Crutchfield included the connector that let me plug right into the wiring harness.

You didn't mention what year 9000 you have. I heard that the wiring harness changed for the models with the Harmon-Kardon radio; the Crutchfield part (from what I have heard) only fits 9000's equipped with Clarion radios. I'm not sure that Crutchfield is even aware of this difference and are likely to say that their connector fits all 9000's.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Thanks, Walt. I have a 1997, and the current stereo just says Saab, so I don't know what kind it is.

Reply to
Jack McCullough

I think Saab went to Harmon-Kardon radios around 1993. Your 1997 model is likely to have a different connector(s) than the one that works with the Crutchfield part.

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

The '97 NG900 is Clarion based. I don't know about the 9000 model.

Reply to
Bob