Car Wars - Saab car of choice for theives...

Anyone see car wars on the box last night?(UK) I didn't but apparently C900's and 9000's are car of choice for getaways in Manchester. Ram raid with a 4*4 and getaway in a C900. Don't take your Saab there!

Al

Reply to
Al

Yes I watched that, didn't know whether to be happy or sad. Obviously, the turbo models are quite quick and you can also load lots of stuff. An estate car is no good as the thieves toolkit would be visible. A white van would be conspicuous, especially with decal such as 'Best Burglars Ltd'. But the Police officer also hinted that the gangsters may have some mechanical knowledge of the car and knowledge on how to steal them.

Reply to
Johannes Andersen

Bloody hell, and I work in Salford and drive a C900.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I wonder why? A C900 doesn't exactly blend in.

Reply to
James Sweet

in article JnmXf.2223$Fc.1688@trnddc08, James Sweet at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 01/04/2006 04:24:

I think it's more a local gang thing. In one of the outlying towns arounf Manchester, the local scrotes steal SAABs, so any new SAAB in the area has to be stolen for street-cred.

Car security in general, what good methods of securing our cars do we have? It's probably best not to discuss their workings too much in public :)

I favour a reputable (reputably fitted) engine immobilizer, coupled with a large steering lock that covers the steering wheel. I have thought of a hidden flick switch for the ignition system and/or perhaps a timed relay, so any thief would get, say, 50 yards up the road and have the engine stall.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Multiple devices that are visible are better, it's just too much hassle for the thieves. I have the steering wheel cover AND the gear/handbrake lock. Plus also an engine immobilizer.

Reply to
Johannes Andersen

Apparently the reason they were being stolen was two fold. They were relatively easy to take, and were quick getaway cars.

I personally rely on a CAT 1 imobiliser, and I had the reverse gear locking mechanism repaired by Phil and Phil. There are alot of C900s with broken transmission locks. I'm sure the theives know a 20 second way to overcome it, but coupled with the imobiliser it just makes life too hard for them. These scum bags want it easy.

Al

Reply to
Al

The thieves would not have liked my GM Saab. It may have been easy to steal, but

it would likely break down on them - just turn itself off with total electrical failure. When the timing belt breaks, it would stop when the valves are destroyed. If that didn't get them, the transmission module would fail and leave them stranded. And what about them DI cassettes? The perfect engine immobilizer :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

East to steal? Deadlocks, and transmission lock? Not as easy as the car parked behind it, next to it or in front of it.

Interesting scenario, but our NG had chains not a belt, or are you referring to the nasty GM V6 they shoe-horned in?

Transmission module? What's that then? Enlighten me, seriously I'm interested.

DI cassettes? on a NG900? We had ours four years and 50,000 miles without a problem (70,000-120,000) so I'm willing to be corrected but I don't recall seeing a DI cassette on it. If there was it never gave me a problem, unlike the one on my 9000. (BAHHH...)

I would however agree that as a thief the NG900 would not be my choice of getaway Saab, give me an Aero any day...C900 or 9000.

Al

Reply to
Al

The car that the police followed was a 9000. In my experience, many people can't distinguish the cars and think they're all 900 as the NG900 is more common. Even the police officer wasn't quite sure, he said: "900 or ehh.. 9000".

Reply to
Johannes Andersen