Exhaust Opinions

Hi all,

I'm looking into replacing my exhaust for a performance exhaust. What is available? What opinions of different systems to people have?

My car is a 1989 900 T8. I have taken a look at JT and Abbott so far. What else is out there worth looking at? I'm after 3" through. I've heard the Abbott system - nice :) What about noise reduction? How does a 3" sound at constant motorway speed? Too noisy?

Also, I would like to have my Carlsson twin exits welded to the end - opinions?

Much appreciated, TIA, etc

Basically, tell me what I want and who does it :) and how much :(

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

JT 3" Systems are good. Can be a bit tricky to fit due to size and finish but nothing to troubling. Abbot exhaust is expensive and IMHO sounds raspy as its a stainless unit.To weld the Carlsson pipes on you'd need a 3" -

2.25" (IIRC) converter. Shouldn't effect flow that much as the exhaust gas will have slowed and expanded by that point.

Cheers Matt

Reply to
**-**

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.greennet.net, **-** at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 19/02/2004 22:42:

Superb. The Abbott system seems very expensive in comparison. I have heard the Abbott system and it sounded good.

I already have a stainless downpipe, but might well go for the Batteriboj 3" from JT along with the rest of the exhaust. Elkparts sell both. I've got the last foot and a bit of the Carlsson pipes (the rest was rusted and had to be replaced for the MOT). I'll have to look at the system fitted to decide if I want to replace with the Calrsson end. I'm going to have to do something quickly though - I've a standard, but very shiny, oval now and it just doesn't look right :(

I've been sent a couple of pictures of the Jetex system fitted and it looks good. Can anyone comment about sound? I know it will growl nicely around town, but I'm concerned it would be too loud on motorway journeys. A constant exhaust hum can be pretty wearing.

Thanks Matt,

Can anyone else comment on their systems?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Have a look at a 2.5" system, with just a rear silencer, no front silencer. Works well, sounds nice and throbby, cuts down on back pressure, is easier to fit, and you could stick a Carlsson tail pipe on probs.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 21/02/2004 20:04:

Cheers bud, but this is what I already have. The current system is falling to bits and it's a good time to ditch it and go for a complete new one. I'd like to treat the car to something a bit more now ...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

OK, if you change your mind about the 2.5" system have a look see at

for a 3" system
(although you might need to check if they suit 8V turbos). And if you can move the battery to the boot/luggage area in a box have a look at
to remove the restriction at the turbo elbow. And if you can get a little bit serious maybe find out if someone can make you a cross between
for the 8v injection engines and something along the lines of this little beauty for the T16
Get a set of decent flowing turbular headers, and a nice 3" smooth curved downpipe to a single box 3" system and I don't think you would have too many worries about the exhaust system being restrictive anymore.

But you might have probs with the 3" pipes going over the rear axle.

Ever thought of uding someone like Longlife, or Powerflow to build you a one off stainless system?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 21/02/2004 23:19:

Wow! Comprehensive. I think I'll leave the headers for a phase II, since I need two new wheels as well :( Or :) if you look at it another way - if I need two rotational Aeros, why not go for four Super Aeros? I already have the extended bump-stops and uprated springs; my garage inform me that the car used to have 16s on anyway.

I already have a stainless downpipe, but it's got badly bent and it's setting the rest of the exhaust up wrong. The 3" from Elkparts looks superb, but as you say, a one-off stainless system which would last forever is ideal if it's within budget. I've been passed the details of a guy in Bradford who does custom exhaust jobs, so I'll pop down for a quote this week.

Thanks Carl,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

No worries. If all goes well next month, I may be using the speed bump excuse as a good reason to see about getting a custom single box exhaust made up myself. Fingers crossed.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I had a Longlife stainless put on my V6 2 months ago and I'm very pleased. They have all the options you could want from £299.

Reply to
Clive Warren