C900 JT 3" Exhaust & Downpipe

Hi everyone,

I am interested in fitting one of these 3" exhausts with the downpipe to my C900 T8:

PING Alastair Dore. I was speaking to Aeromotive this afternoon and they think they fitted one (without the downpipe) to your Aero, but couldn't be sure. If so, how do you like it?

My turbo needs some work at some point, since it whines like a banshee. Rather than forking out the money to re-balance it, I was wondering about getting one of the Mitsubishi TE-05 chargers off the later C900s. The reason being, they spin up faster than the Garrett (I have the TB0358) and I'm not too bothered about the flow rate beyond about 1 bar anyway, although I gather they're good for up to around 1.8 bar. Does anyone have any direct experience of the Mitsi turbo on an 8V?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul, thanks for the photo link you emailed me, t'was a fat man getting his lunch at the national methinks!!

As for the JT, yes Phil and Phil fitted it, apparently it was a git to fit, but its a top job and it doesn't catch on the road cushions like the standard one did as there's no front box.

I LOVE the sound it makes, at all revs. Tickover is a really lovely burble, and about 2000rpm give the best reverberation, but 4500 through a tunnel, (well a long bridge) near me is just stunning sort of like...

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWW!

Lets just say with the JT and the Bailey 26D dump valve it's a real symphony!

Performance wise, like many on 900aero.com I've noticed a definite improvement, not so much in speed or power but the turbo spools up a bit quicker. Thinking about the downpipe but can't warrant the extra dosh, especially as it would involve a battery move to the boot, or a Varley red top.......KERchinggggggg

Go for it Paul, you will not regret it one bit.

Al

Reply to
Al

in article K4pLf.44823$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 23/02/2006 20:40:

My preamble ...

That's my main consideration. I'm just fed up of scraping over speed bumps. I get a dry day (rare for our part of the world), jack the car up, remove the old clamps, setup the exhaust perfectly, stand back, admire handywork, go for a drive ... Undo all that work on the first speed bump. Grrrrr!

I gather at cruising speed/throttle, the reverberation is not much more than the standard exhaust. I don't want to sound like some young scrote with fart-can! On the other hand, the sound of an old school turbo whining up through a 3" megaphone is very appealing :)

I'd be going with a Varley Red Top to accompany the shallow elbow. I gather that's the key to unlocking quite a bit of lost horsepower on the C900.

I'll need to save up ... The MOT cost "a bit" :( The car is amazing now though. Money well spent, IMO, since the car gives so much back. Aeromotive have had it since Monday and I picked it up this afternoon. There was some structural work to do and other than that a load of little jobs I've ignored and a good tune-up. I've never felt it like this before though. It's really tight and erm, quite hard to keep hold of :O I think my wastegate might need setting down a little, since it boosts into the mid-red (0.85-0.9 bar) and pulls back to the yellow/red line with APC (around 0.75 bar). That's on the standard APC box.

Cheers fella, Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Get that here in Sydney too - the clamps around the pipe joins for the resonator hit all sorts of oddities. I just had the old resonator replaced after the weld behind it (wasn't a Saab oem one) rusted out and I got a local exhaust place to fit a new one and weld in a new section of pipe plus fix up dodgy clamps for A$100.

Once I get my '83 8V turbo running nicely the exhaust has to be replaced as it has holes/leaks in a few spots. There a serious leak around the flange where the downpipe attaches to the turbo - not sure how to sort that one yet.

My car is non-APC too so whether a nice free-flowing exhaust will make more or less of a difference compared to the same car with APC (as was the case in the USA and other markets at the time) is something I probably won't be able to find out.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

WRT road humps and cushions there's no national standard in the UK, hence all the stupid variations. The Transport Research Laboratory have produced a couple of reports, but with regard to dimensions of humps there is no set standard!

Absolutely right, it is quite possible to burble around all day without attracting anything more than the odd admiring glance from petrol heads who know their cars!

That's what they say, but it's aother £140 pls the battery problem....

My recent MOT wasn't cheap either, £465! and that followed a couple of new Michelin Pilot Primacys a week or so earlier at £140!. Am exceedingly skint right now :-( BUT the she's going like a Swedish rocket!

Al

Reply to
Al