Head gasket replacement

It looks like my 1988 Saab 9000i with barely 339000 km's on it needs a new head gasket. I will take the necessary steps to be sure that it is the gasket, but if it is, is this feasible to do by yourself? I have the Haynes manual, and it looks pretty straightforward, but are there any other guides somewhere on the internet? I would like a second opinion, as Haynes cannot be trusted 100% of the time. Have any of you followed the Haynes manual to the letter, or have you developed your own routine?

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Yes. Been, there. Done that. The engine thanked me for it...

It is fairly straightforward and does not require any specialty tools beyond a torque wrench.

While you are at it, I would recommend pulling the timing cover (while you have the head off, it is easier) and check/replace your chain(s) guides and sprockets if they are worn.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Yes you do, you need an external TORX E-16 socket to undo the head bolts. http://216.78.172.244/engine-folder/headgasket90016v.htmThis describes the 900 version of the engine and is very good. This plusHaynes is enough.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Hi Richard. I can't get the link to work.

Reply to
Keyser Söze

Try this one: http://68.18.137.172/engine_folder/headgasket90016v.htm And, yes, you do need a torque socket as stated. I just did not consider this a "special" tool, (as in SAAB proprietary).

-Fred

Reply to
Fred W.

OK, they have changed it since I downloaded my copy http://68.18.137.172/engine-folder/headgasket90016v.htm

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

That won't load from where I'm located...

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Workshop

it did when I sent it to you!!

go into SAABmaster site, then technical documents. Even this wouldn't load for me tonight; it often seems flakey so download any documents and print them out.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith