Headlight/Relay problem

Hello,

I just bought a 1999 Saab 95 last week and I am having a problem with the headlights. At first the High Beam on the left side would not work. I checked the bulb, and fuses and that did not help. I took it into a Saab dealer and they told me the relay was loose, and when they pushed it back in it worked. This morning I got in my car and the SID said something like "Headlight failure", I check and now the low beam on the same side is not working. The high beam is still working though. Can anyone tell me where this relay is that might have been loose that they were refering to. Like I said I check the 4 fuses under the hood any they are all good. Or if you have any other suggestions as to what else it might be. If it's still loose maybe I should replace it so I'm not constantly under the hood pushing it back in.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sitting next to the relay is an orange coloured unit shaped like a relay, it is a lamp control unit part number 4109070, it is not a relay but a device which measures current flow to the headlights. By this means it can detect a failure and send a signal to the SID. It is necessary for it to pass the current and if a circuit inside it fails a headlight will not work. It caused me some problems only solved by replacing it. I did work out all its prongs and testing these confirmed its failure. In the UK it costs £35 plus vat. Hope this helps, but the above applys to an NG900..

Reply to
John

On a real 95 rolling the fuses will cure this type of problem.

------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

I just fixed exactly the same fault on my 9-3. One of the solder joints from the PCB to the base of the control unit had cracked so it only needed re-soldering. Doesn't look like a very vibration-proof design. I expected better of Hella.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the headlight fault-monitoring system seems to be a major cause of headlight faults?

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Ah yes. That was before they started using real fuses ;o)

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Easy now, Son...treading on sacred ground, you are...

Dave "Wish I could have a new 95 myself..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree, I felt like shorting out the unit to save the expense but I like to look after my Saab and keep it original. Since the lamp control indication is a supposed safety feature it doesn't make sense that its failure causes a light to fail.

Reply to
John Hudson