Headlight Relay Problem

I am trying to diagnose a problem with my headlights. I'm in Canada so I have Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on my Max. The problem is that the DRLs light up okay (they use a lower light setting on the high beam bulb), but then when I turn on the headlights and the high beams the passenger light goes out. I have replaced the passenger side high beam bulb with a brand new bulb, no difference.

I looked at the service manual and it suggests that the headlamp relay may be a problem. It refers to a RH and a LH relay ,which i assume is right hand(passenger) and left hand(driver).

Can any tech tell me if there is a difference between the two, they have the same numbers printed on them, but does that make them the same?

If they are the identical part, I want to swap them from side to side to see if the problem follows the relay.

Thanks.

Reply to
PJL

The relays for the two headlamps should be identical.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I am trying to diagnose a problem with my headlights. ... Nissan uses color codes for relays. Same color, same logic, swap.

Problem could also be the light switch itself.

You do not tell the year model... 3gen Maxima schema doesnt have two but only one daytime light relay with daytime light unit; see FSM EL-30. Power to LH/RH bulbs go separately via the switch.

Burning light switch contacts are common in any vehicle w/o relays. You may open & clean the sw, helps few mths... Check main light upgrade

Wiikinki

Thanks Nirav, I will try it and let the group know.

Reply to
PJL

only one daytime light relay with daytime light unit; see FSM EL-30. Power to LH/RH bulbs go separately via the switch.

may open & clean the sw, helps few mths... Check main light upgrade

I have a 2003 GLE. I have noticed that if I flash the high beams with DRLs illuminated, all four lights go on. If I have the low beams on only and turn on the high beams or flash them, that's when the passenger side high beam doesn't illuminate.

Thanks for your replies.

Reply to
PJL

Swapping the two didn't work, the problem still exists on the passenger side.

Wiikinki, you said it might also be the switch; by that, do you mean inside the steering column?

Also, any idea where tha DRL module is located?

2003 Max GLE