HELP: 9-3 cluth replaced. Gear's change very stiff

I would be very grateful for some help. I have a 1998/9 Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo.

Over the weekend the local garage replaced my clutch (the previous one was completely worn out). Now with the introduction of the new clutch, I encounter the following symptoms:

  1. The cluth engages very early - I barely have to lift my foot and the car leaps forward. In fact, with the clutch down completely the car will still move slowly on flat ground when in 1st gear.

  1. The gear changes are now very stiff when I initally start the car and drive off. It takes real effort to engage 1st and reverse gear.

  2. After driving 5-10 mins the gear changing becomes much easier - although the clutch is still engaging very early. The car seems to drive much better at this point when warmed up.

My questions are, is this typical after replacing the clutch and will things become bearable once the cluth has some use, or is this something that points to problems of a more serious kind.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

-- Shuaib

Reply to
Shuaib

It could well need a new master hydraulic cylinder, but the garage shouldn't have left the car it in that state, as it is not safe to drive if the car can creep forward. Complain to the garage that they didn't complete the job.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

This is not typical, and is not good.

It is very likely that the system hasn't been fully bled. There is air in the hydraulics, which is causing the clutch to drag (never fully disengage). This is bad for the clutch and bad for the gearbox.

Take the car back to the garage and get them to bleed it (or do it yourself - it's a fairly simple procedure).

Reply to
Grunff

I wouldn't drive it in this condition if I were you, since you are likely putting lots of wear on the gearbox by shifting when the clutch is still partially engaged.

John

Reply to
John B

It would appear one of two things has happened.

  1. The master or slave cylinder have bought the farm.
  2. The clutch hydraulics need to have the air bled out.

I would ensure that the hydraulics are properly bled by the mechanic prior to allowing him to sell you new master and slave cylinders.

dave

Reply to
dave