Help re tyre sizes

Hi All

I'm looking to replace my 1999 9-3 2.0T SE tyres, but I'm not 100% certain as to tyre size. It has 205/55R16 all round, but a supplier's site (where I searched by vehicle) came up with 205/_50_R16.

Does anyone know which is correct? And which is best! Obviously the 55 profiles fit as they're already on, but if it'll improve handling etc I'd like to know what the OEM spec is.

I have the standard Turbo 5-spoke alloys

Many thanks

1

If you have the Owner's Manual - look in there. You can try looking on the door pilars. In the US the tire pressure and I think size are stamped on a metal plate which is riveted to the body.

Reply to
ma_twain

Can't help you with the tyre size but you're in the UK aren't you ?

You might care to check these guys out for tyres. Found them on ebay but they have their own website.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks for that. The cheapest I've found so far is blackcircles.com. Think I'll go with them as they seem to be about 30% cheaper than the usual 'Quick Fit' type outlets. Think I'll be going for P6000s as these are already on the back axle, it's just the fronts which the turbo seems to have eaten!

D :-)

Reply to
1

From my research the answer seems to be simply cost. Apparently the 55's are slightly cheaper than the 50's, and as an ex-fleet workhorse..well, you know what fleet managers are like.

So my dilemma is now whether to replace all 4 with the correct 50 profiles or soldier on with the 55s. I guess there'll be a small difference in acceleration/top speed etc, although not much.

Any thoughts?

D :-)

Reply to
1

Did you specifically find the original profile spec ?

Btw - any comments on 'assymetric tyres' for the front end ? Seem to be just the real performance tyres but this is new territory for me.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I managed to find a copy of the Owners Manual (which I didn't get when I bought the car) which confirmed my suspicions of a 50 profile.

No idea about tread pattern I'm afraid. The fitter I spoke to yesterday recommended Vredsteins which he uses personally, and they appear to be an asymetric pattern

Daniel

Reply to
1

[...]

Yes, sounds about right from memory. But OP should be aware that there are optional wheel tire sizes for the car. However, the rolling diameter should not be changed (much) or he will run into problems. See also

Johannes

Ya stay away from pirelli Its not your turbo eating up those tires they are just bad tires.

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK