Tyre Sizes

Hi

I need a couple of new tyres for my car, the current ones are 185/55 R15. I phoned a large tyre chain and I was told I could change all four tyres for

195/50 VR15. I may be being thick and I don't know much about tyres but surely that wouldn't work, can anyone give me some guidance?

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Richard (NOT.TODAY@ASKME FOR.IT) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

10mm extra tread width, and a sidewall of 50% of the tread width instead of 55% - it'd be about the same overall size, but perhaps a smidge more grip and a bit more harshness in the ride.

The sidewalls would be *slightly* lower, so the speedo and odometer would start to slightly under-read compared to now, but that *may* make them more accurate rather than less. In practice, it won't make much difference.

The key question is - does this make a difference to tyre availability and price... A quick look on BlackCircles.com suggests that there's a much wider and cheaper choice of 195/50 VR15 than 185/55 HR15.

Goferit.

Reply to
Adrian

Here, you can see what happens:

Johannes H Andersen

Answer is probably. Maybe the extra 10mm of width will cause them to rub at full lock but probably be ok

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Just remember though that if not changing all four to put the new ones on the back

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Over-read as wheels get 1.5% smaller?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have found a place where i can get Hankook tyres for £41.88 (per tyre) so i will just put them on this time as they seem to have quite a good write up on the internet

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Care to enlighten us as to who they are ...Are they on-line.?? thx Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

The shop???

It is Tyre Spot

not sure i they sell online or not.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. This troll-o-meter seems to have broken...

Reply to
Adrian

Johannes H Andersen ( snipped-for-privacy@sssssssssssssssizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Lemme think...

Yep, you're right. Ooops.

It may still make 'em more accurate, depending on which way they're lying currently... But it's more likely they'll lie more.

Reply to
Adrian

You need to consider a few things

1) Will the wider tyre fit my wheelarches? - look at your handbook and see if other variants of your car have tyres of that size, that will be a good indication. Realistically I don't think an extra 10mm should make a great deal of difference, but

2) Rolling radius. Go onto the web site of say goodyear, brigestone etc. and look for the tyre specs. You will probably find as part of the full spec for the tyres either the rolling radius or no. of revolutions per mile or somesuch. Compare the two tyre sizes in this respect. Then you will know if your speedo is going to be as accurate with the alternative tyre.

Again, I think that I have found in the past that if you go 10mm wider and the next size down in profile, the rolling radius is about the same. But it may depend on brand...

3) Next time around will the new lower profile tyres be as cheap?

4) What about the amount of wear you will lose on the two good tyres you are replacing

5) - that's the number of tyres you need - 5, not 4 (you have a spare?)

Reply to
R. Murphy

A 185/55 has a nominal sidewall height of 102mm A 195/50 has a nominal sidewall height of 97.5mm

Wouldn't have thought that small a variation would make any difference, but the insurance would probably call it a modification!

Reply to
SimonJ

spare could be one of those stupid skinny emergency wheels of course.

Reply to
MrJolly