a bit off topic...mechanic in Lexington, KY

I have a son who is going to the University of Kentucky and the AC compressor in his 1992 Mercury has gone out- it wasn't a real problem (he's young - he can sweat until summer's over) until the pulley finally went, and of course now the car's immobile. the mechanic he'd gone to (I'm seven hours away) refused to do anything but go "the whole nine yards" for $900 - even though I asked him to simply stick a salvaged one on without hooking it up - just so the belts would have a place to go (and he could get it back here).

If there are any Lexintonians out there (or if you are familiar with the area) that know of a mechanic who speaks "common sense" and would do the job - couldn't take more than an hour....

tia,

terry solomonson

Reply to
Terry Solomonson

Don't know if this helps, but when the AC compressor started squealing on my Chevy I just bought and installed the "no AC" version of the serpentine belt. Problem fixed in 10 minutes for $20.

Reply to
Steve Heath

Hi Terry, Lexington Brake...ask for Mike or Tony 859-276-1809. Good people. They'll take care of you. C'ya -Kev

Reply to
Kevin Moreland

If there is no serpentine belt, then just cut off the A/C belt.

Reply to
Tiger

Alas, it does indeed have a serpentine belt, and just to make life a little more difficult the compressor doesn't hang on the outside of the loop. At least it's easy to access.

We'll give Lexington Brake a try - thanks to all who offered ideas!

terry solom> If there is no serpentine belt, then just cut off the A/C belt. >

Reply to
Terry Solomonson